Chapter 9: A 'Friendly' Conversation

They both stared blankly at each other for a moment, silent. It had been years since they had actually spoke - usually it was just Katsuki showing up out of no where, roughing up Izuku a bit, and leaving. There was taunting and insults from Katsuki, and exclamations of pain and threats to tell a teacher from Izuku, but that was about it. The last time they had a real conversation, Izuku was still calling him Kacchan. Kacchan was too cute of a nickname for what that little boy had turned into. He was a jerk-wad, and Katsuki sounded like the perfect name for a jerk-wad.

Izuku's eyes, wide with surprise, narrowed, and he glared at Katsuki as hard as Katsuki glared at him.

"I called you Katsuki. That's your name, isn't it?"

"Well, yeah, but - oh, whatever. Grab a remote, playing solo is boring."

"Why are you here? Don't you hate my guts?" Izuku asked bluntly as he got up to grab a Wii remote.

"Not really. You're the one who stopped talking to me. I just like to mess with you sometimes."

"You have literally broken my wrist three times, broken one of my ear drums, set my hair on fire, and dislocated two of my ribs."

"What can I say? You're annoying, and I take out my anger with violence."

"Do you know why I left early?"

"Yeah, your mom told me you had some weird time-loop-nightmare-thingie."

"Did she mention that each time I died because of you?"

Katsuki froze.

"...No."

"When the teacher broke the chalk, he sent me to get more. While I was trying to find the light switch in the supply closet, you shoved me in and locked the door. Some boxes of paper fell on me, and I suffocated. Happened fourteen times before I did something about it."

"Well... that does kind of sound like something I would do, but it was just a nightmare. It's not like you actually died fourteen times."

Izuku sighed, unwilling to explain the voice asking him if he wanted to continue and the void where he held the four-pointed star.

"If you say so."