Chapter 52: Oppurtunity

Class 1-C's homeroom teacher was explaining the sports festival. Izuku wasn't paying attention in the slightest; as soon as the teacher mentioned that it was optional for gen-ed students, he completely zoned out. This is an oppurtunity for gen-ed students to get into the hero course, challenges will be more open to certain quirks than the robots were, yada yada yada... he honestly couldn't care less.

Shinso, on the other hand, looked more awake than Izuku had ever seen him. (Then again, that is a pretty low bar.) He was listening to every word the teacher said, clearly hopeful.

"Taking all of that into consideration..." The teacher said, finishing up. "Who here plans to participate?"

The entire class, sans Izuku, raised their hands.

"That's exactly what I expected. It is a hero school, after all-" The teacher paused, noticing that Izuku had not raised his hand. "Midoriya? Why don't you want to participate?"

"I don't want to be a hero," He answered bluntly. It was getting rather annoying, how people couldn't seem to understand his decision. "I know my limits."

"Well... think about it, alright? This might be the last chance you get."

My chance at being a hero passed the moment I was concieved, he thought to himself. I wasn't made for being a symbol of peace - I was made for something silent and selfish, something that no one needs to know about.

It was true; now that he thought of it, the way he was using his power was incredibly selfish. He tampered with life and death so he didn't have to stop living, so he didn't have to mourn for others, so he didn't have to face the consequences of his actions. Then again, how else was he supposed to use it? Really, how could he be expected to use it for anything that didn't directly benifit him? It made no sense that he should repeatedly kill himself for someone or something he doesn't care about. It may be selfish, but it was reasonable. It's not like he was taking other people's lives in order to save his own.

...was he?