Chapter 16: Under Pressure

"So, Midoriya, are you actually quirkless?" Aiya asked as they walked to the arcade on the warm Sunday afternoon, pushing her half-frame glasses up on her face.

"That's what the doctor said," Izuku replied.

"But you think the doctor was wrong," The shorter blonde girl gave him a knowing look; her quirk allowed her to hear in people's voices what others couldn't hear.

"Uh... not really." He thought for a moment of how he could answer without lying. "My mom thinks I might have a precognition quirk." 

Aiya gave him a look, knowing he wasn't telling her everything, but didn't pry. She usually wouldn't say anything as long as he didn't lie.

"Precognition? Isn't that, like, telling the future and stuff?" Ena piped up.

"Yeah, pretty much. I don't think I have anything like that, but that's what my mom seems to think."

"Why?"

"I dunno. The other day, I reminded her to bring some cash with her to get dinner instead of just her debit card, and the resturaunt we went to just happened to have a broken card reader. It was really nothing special. Plus, I have the extra toe joint. There are X-rays."

"Yeah, that just sounds like a coincidence. Anyways, what games do you guys wanna play at the arcade? I heard they just brought in a bunch of new ones."

They talked about different arcade games to play for the next few minutes. As they walked  under an overpass, Izuku heard a rattling noise. Turning to look, he managed to catch a glimpse of a giant mass of dull green slime coming from a manhole before it lunged onto Aiya, shoving itself down her throat and saying something about the perfect meat suit.

Ena had turned his hair to iron and was head-butting the sludge monster, but to no avail. Hanako was helpless to do anything but try and fail at pulling the sludge away from their blonde friend. 

Izuku stood still for a moment, frozen.

He couldn't think under pressure. 

He had to reset.

He pulled the box cutter out of his pocket. 

He thought he saw the sludge monster stop and stare at him in shock, along with his friends, before everything faded and he awoke to his alarm once again.