Chapter 18: Bullets

Why did people keep dying?

It would be simpler if he was the one getting killed. Then he could just worry about himself. But life is never simple, is it?

It seemed he had tried everything. He'd grabbed Aiya and ran, but then Ena got attacked; he tried shoving everyone to the floor, but then he was on top and got nearly suffocated; he'd even tried inviting them to lunch at a cafe before they went to the arcade and poisoning everyone's food so they threw up almost immediately after eating - poisioning his his own as well, so it wasn't suspicious - but most of them had to go under the overpass to get home, so they still ended up being attacked.

Eventually, he figured out something he hadn't done yet: calling the cops.

He went to the grocery store and bought one of those super-cheap phones that you throw away right after using - a burner phone - and called the local police station. Using his best American accent, which is basically saying everything 80% wrong but getting enough of it right to be understandable, he claimed to have a precognition quirk. He told them that at around one o'clock, a sludge villain would come out of the sewers and attack a group of four teenagers under the Ḑ̸̯̯̹̼͊̈́͆̕o̷̯̻̘͓̩̎ͅn̸̻̜͉̻̎ͅg̶̯̟̥̿̎̈́̇͜ͅų̴̩̭͓̹͉͖͚̇̅̋̇̈́̑̉r̵͖͍̫̖̰̽͛̋̋̅̓̕͝ĩ̷̺̲̺̄̃͋͒̈-̵̛̼̼̦͆̌͑̄̉́d̶͓̮͙͂̔̊̀̈͒ō̷̹͕̣̣̽̅̈͛͋̍r̷͈̪̺̹̔̊i̴͉̖̥̒  overpass. The officer on the phone sounded doubtful, but said they would look into it.

Walking down the street, Izuku was silent. He wasn't listening to Ena and Aiya's conversation; he'd already heard it at least ten times. They kept glancing at him, as if worried. He supposed he was acting a bit strange, but who could blame him? He was getting frustrated. He just wanted the day to end.

"Midoriya, are you... upset about something?" Aiya asked.

"No. Why?" He almost snapped. 

"Don't lie to me," She glared. Oops. Quirks were so pesky.

Izuku took a deep breath before responding. "Sorry. I had a weird morning. I don't really want to talk about it."

"If you change your mind, we're here," Ena said, in an attempt to comfort him. Aiya was able to read into every hidden meaning in each word he said, but she had self control. She knew when to respect someone's privacy. He trusted that she wouldn't pry.

As they went under the overpass, he took out his box cutter. Just in case he would need it.

Apparently bullets were useless against sludge. 

In other words: he needed it.