Chapter 35: Hope

Izuku had missed a lot of school.

He had gotten sick right after finishing all of his final exams - Lady Luck had smiled before spitting on him - and there had been two weeks of classes after the exams. He had been out of school for three weeks, and school was out for the short break before the beginnning of the next school year. The UA entrance exam was only a few days after he was released from the hospital.

It's a good thing I'm not going for the hero course, I would be absolutely destroyed in the practical, Izuku thought to himself as he watched people and buildings pass in the window. He was taking a taxi to UA for the exam, because despite the almost ridiculous amount of sleeping and laying in bed he'd been doing as of late, he was tired. 

The taxi arrived at the gates of UA, which was huge, awesome, and kind of intimidating. Izuku paid the driver, and began walking towards the doors. It was very fancy, for a school; then again, it was a hero school. Their budget - God knows where it came from - was very, very high.

Ah, of course.

Of course he had to trip.

Of course he had to stumble over thin air and face-plant into the concrete-

Wait.

His face was not planted in the concrete. 

He was just... hanging there. Floating.

Why was he floating?

He was already tired. Why must he be subjected to such strange phenomena?

"Sorry for using my quirk on you! I just thought it would be a bad omen if you tripped."

There was a girl. Her features reminded him of old pre-quirk films; slightly chubby, brown hair, brown eyes, short in stature. She was cute, but this did not register in his mind; he stared blankly at her for a moment, processing the information he'd been given before answering.

"...Thanks?" How articulate of him.

"No problem! Here, let me help you get back on your feet." She grabbed his shoulder and pulled upward, so he was standing upright in the air, then pressed her padded fingers together. He dropped back to the ground, stumbling a bit. "My name's Uraraka. What's yours?"

"Midoriya," Izuku answered, his expression blank.

"What course are you applying to? I'm going for the hero course, although I'm not very confident."

"General education. I'm sure you'll do better than I would."

Uraraka laughed. "I doubt it. My quirk is above average, but I'm not very strong physically."

"Neither am I. Plus, my quirk does nothing for combat."

"What is it?"

"Precognition. Every once in a while, I wake up and I know exactly what's going to happen that day. It's not very useful for fighting." Izuku had registered his quirk as weak precognition. We won't talk about the conversation he had with Inko. [Awkward scenes are not my strong point and that would have been very awkward.]

"I'm sure it's plenty useful for other things. Is there any pattern on what days it happens?"

He pretended to think for a moment, then nodded. "It's usually when something bad happens."

"Then if it didn't happen today, it must mean you pass, because not passing would be a bad thing, right?"

"I suppose," Izuku lied to her face. He knew he would probably re-do the exams several times - if he could figure out how to keep from saving until he got his results. "I hope you get into the hero course, Uraraka."

"Thanks! I hope you get into the gen-ed course, Midoriya. Now c'mon, we'll be late!" She grabbed his wrist and dragged him into the building. 

Izuku smiled. His biggest fear had been that everyone at UA would be like Katsuki. Sure, Katsuki wasn't as much of a jerk when he's visiting you in the hospital or at your own home, but school is a different story. Uraraka's friendly and bubbly personality gave him hope.