Chapter 49: Wimp

I am pathetic.

No offense, buddy, but you're right.

I literally cannot die. I can reset the day however many times I like to get everything just right, and no one will ever know. And yet, this literal chihuahua of a person terrifies me.

Izuku was struggling.

What he had told Uraraka that morning had not been a lie - Katsuki could literally kill him repeatedly and he wouldn't care. However, the prospect of having a reasonable conversation with the guy - which is what he needed to do - was, somehow, a thousand times scarier than being murdered by him.

He was currently standing in front of a bathroom sink, clutching his head as if trying to feel around inside his mind for a good idea. He had to tell Katsuki the truth - or, at least, the lie that everyone else thought was the truth. He had to tell him about his supposed precognition quirk that had shown up out of nowhere. He had to tell him before the hot-headed teen forced it out of him, for he was surely driving himself mad over how useless, shitty Deku had become a noumu-killing sociopath after what happened at the USJ.

The freckled teen was drowning in ideas that probably wouldn't work when he was thrown head-first into the strategy of totally winging it. Katsuki walked into the bathroom, immediately walking up to Izuku, who looked like he was trying desperately to stop his skull from falling apart, and grabbing his shoulder.

"I came in here to piss," He growled, red eyes boring holes into Izuku's big green ones. "But you've got some explaining to do."

---

Izuku told Katsuki a similar story to what he told Inko - he woke up one day, and he knew what was going to happen. Katsuki asked similar questions to the questions his mother asked, and he answered those questions similarly.

"How do you explain the extra toe joint, then?"

"Well, it's rare, but it is possible for someone to have a quirk with the extra toe joint." That was a lie, but Izuku was an enormous nerd, and facts such as this one were the sort of facts that nerds could usually be trusted to know.

"Why didn't it show up earlier?"

"Well, it only predicts bad things, so maybe it needed something really bad to happen to get it started?"

Katsuki scoffed. "Whatever. You better not get in my way, though."

"I won't. What I said after the exams wasn't a lie - I don't want to be a hero."

"Good. Why were you holding your head like that when I came in?"

"I was dizzy."

He laughed. "Even if you do have a quirk now, you're still a wimp, huh?"

"Shut up," Izuku muttered, pushing past Katsuki and making his way to the door.

"Y'know, that was pretty gross, what you did with the noumu. It was cool."

Izuku left the bathroom, pretending he didn't hear what Katsuki had said.

If you're wondering, no. He did not take it as a compliment. Izuku may act like a wild animal when adrenaline gets going, feral and merciless, but normally, he's pretty squeamish. He had had a moment of pure desperation as the noumu prepared to smash Aizawa into the concrete, and had torn its brain right out of its head. At the time, he had been fine, but thinking back on it made him queasy.

Maybe he was a wimp, after all. Then again, he doubted wimps could handle killing themselves so many times they've lost count.