Chapter 32: Visit

The hospital was tall and intimidating, even for someone as tall and intimidating as Katsuki. His mother had refused to tell him who they would be visiting - she muttered something about him being a stubborn brat that wouldn't come if he knew. Angered, he had snatched the car keys from her hands and started the car himself, fully prepared to drive off without her. He had taken the muttered insult as a challenge, and if he didn't have that one little part of his mind that still knew his mother could murder him if she wanted to and feared her for it, he may have actually left her behind to take the train and ground him when she caught up. However, he saw her running out the front door, the usual raged expression on her face, and he waited.

Katsuki did end up driving; it may have been illegal for a fifteen-year-old to drive, as the legal age was eighteen, but he looked old enough not to raise concern. His mother could clearly be seen correcting any mistakes he made, so anyone who looked in the windshield would believe that she was supervising her young-adult son who only had a permit. Of course, that was not the case, but that is between you, me, and the two very angry chihuahuas of people.

The ash-blonde teen had held all the pride and confidence there was to hold while he drove to the hospital, but walking in was another matter. He was rather ashamed to find that, when he looked closely at the thoughts running through his mind, he was scared. He didn't know what to expect. He had only been in a hospital once, and that had been when he was born. Of course, he didn't remember that time very clearly, which is to be expected. He wasn't sure if he would see someone he knew, or some distant relative he had never met. He had no clues, no guesses, and if he did, he did not know what they were.

...

Despite seeing the empty desk at school, and the empty desks in years before, he still managed to be surprised when he opened the door.