Chapter 41: Scars

Izuku went out like a light the moment Recovery Girl used her quirk on him. Which wasn't supposed to happen.

The sprained ankle had only been bad enough that he would need to rest for maybe half an hour. She hadn't expected him to fall asleep at all, let alone that quickly. Concerned, she searched him for signs of other injuries. At first, she didn't find any; after a few minutes, however, she noticed thin lines - scars - appearing out of pretty much nowhere on his throat. They seemed to emerge from within him, fading into existence, piling on top of each other. There were a couple that seemed different from the rest - one that was shorter and slightly thicker, and one that was off to one side and angled slightly instead of right in the center and perfectly vertical like the others.

The elderly hero had no idea what was happening or why. After checking the boy's pulse, she found that it was much too slow. Her mind racing, she deduced that she must have accidentally healed many, many stab wounds in his neck - but where had the stab wounds come from? They hadn't been there a moment ago - his neck looked perfectly fine, spare for a few faint scratch marks.

Whatever was going on, she would have to get his heart rate back up - and fast.

---

Class 1-C's homeroom teacher was doing roll call. He called Midoriya's name, but instead of the green-haired boy responding with 'here', it was Shinso.

"He's in the infirmary. He should be back soon."

"Ah, okay. Thank you, Shinso."

---

It was lunch time.

Why wasn't Recovery Girl done with Midoriya?

This is the question the teacher had asked Shinso as he was leaving the classroom for lunch. Shinso didn't know; he was asking himself the same question.

"Hey, Shinso!" Uraraka ran up to him, Iida tailing her. "Where's Midoriya?"

"He's not back yet."

"Huh. That's weird. We should check on him on the way to the cafeteria."

That's exactly what they did.

They were not expecting to see him asleep on a cot, with an array of scars on his throat.