Chapter 20: A Good Day

One of the heroes - Kamui Woods - approached Izuku after containing the villain in some soda bottles.

"Are you alright? Did it hurt you?"

"There's some of it inside of me," Izuku gasped out, struggling to breathe as his body tried to force the sludge back out the way it came in. He had pretty much reverted to his usual personality by now.

"Do you want me to call an ambulance?"

Izuku swallowed in an attempt to keep his lunch down. "Maybe."

"I'm gonna go ahead and call an ambulance. Try not to freak out." Izuku only nodded in response.

His friends ran up to him while Kamui called an ambulance.

"Are you okay?" Ena and Aiya simultaneously asked him. He shook his head slightly. They asked more questions, but he was too focused on not puking in front of a pro hero and his friends to respond.

An ambulance arrived shortly, and a few paramedics had him sit down with his feet hanging off the edge. They asked him a few questions, which he was able to answer using a minimal amount of words. They put a very professional-looking bucket in front of him, and told him what he already knew: he would need to throw up.

"Come on. It's nothing we haven't seen before. You'll feel better once you get it over with," One of them told him. He still struggled against it, but eventually he couldn't hold it in any longer. Into the bucket went a writhing chunk of sludge, along with everything he'd eaten that day. The paramedics removed the sludge with gloved hands, putting it in an air-tight container and handing it to the cops. He officially never wanted to be a paramedic. They gave him a plastic cup of water, and he thanked them quietly, standing back up.

Kamui came up to him again.

"All good now?"

He nodded.

"Great. You did a good job, blinding that thing. What sort of quirk do you have?"

"I don't have one." Kamui raised his eyebrows.

"Really? How'd you do it, then?"

Izuku pulled the box cutter out of his pocket, holding it up for the wooden hero to see. "I keep it on me. Just in case."

"Sounds reasonable, since you don't have a quirk." He shook his head. "Wow, I didn't know there were still people being born without quirks. I thought the 20% was just really old people."

Izuku laughed. "It probably is, for the most part. I guess I'm just weird."

"Do you really have the extra toe joint?"

"Yup. It's the bane of my existence. Comes with a whole lot more than quirklessness. Freckles, weak immune system, brittle bones, the works. Physically, I'm pretty much a degenerate."

"Sounds rough. But no matter what, never let anyone tell you that you're useless. Everyone has something they're meant to do. If you weren't meant to be big and strong, that's fine. You're worth just as much as everyone else."

Izuku was silent for a moment; he'd just been given an inspirational speech by a pro hero. He grinned.

"I won't. Thank you."

He couldn't be sure, but he thought Kamui smiled. "No problem. Now, shoo. Go do whatever teenagers do these days." The greenette laughed, thanked him again, and went back to Ena, Aiya, and Hanako.

Today was a good day.

Sure, he'd lived through today almost twenty times, but today was a good day.