Chapter 39: Watch Out

It was the last day of the first week of school - Saturday. Izuku had convinced Inko to let him walk to and from school instead of the awkward taxi ride - it's not like she could stop him from walking if he wanted to, anyways. That morning, he was walking with Uraraka, whose house was closest to his and who therefore started her morning around the same time as him.

They were crossing at an intersection - yes, they were following traffic laws, have some trust in them - and were almost to the sidewalk when the brunette yelled.

"WATCH OUT!" She screamed, grabbing Izuku, who was behind her, and practically throwing him onto the sidewalk. A car sped past them, right through where he had been just a moment before. Uraraka closed the small distance between her and the sidewalk, a furious look on her face.

"That asshole just blew a red!" She fumed, holding her hand out for Izuku to grab. "Are you okay?"

Izuku didn't answer right away, still disoriented. He had almost been run over. Was he standing? No, he was on his side, propped up on his elbow. His palms were scratched and dirty, and he felt a pain in his right ankle, which he had twisted at an odd angle when he landed.

"I think so?" He answered, although it was more of a question than anything. Taking her hand, he pulled himself to his feet, wincing and stumbling slightly when he put weight on his right foot. "Okay, maybe not."

"What is it?"

"I think I did something to my ankle," Izuku murmured, letting himself fall back to the ground.

"Do you think it's broken?" The brunette asked, kneeling down next to him.

"No, I've broken bones before. The pain is different, and not as severe. I might have sprained it." He pulled the cloth of his pants up to look at his ankle, and saw that it was beginning to swell and bruise. Poking it, he winced. "Yeah, sprained."

"I'm sure the nurse could fix it; I got a big cut on my arm during a training exercise the other day, and she had it gone in two seconds flat. We're pretty close to the school - do you think you can walk?"

"Maybe... I don't think I can put weight on it."

Uraraka pulled him up, looping his arm around her shoulder so she was holding up whatever part of his weight would have been on his right ankle. She took a few steps forward, and he followed. 

"There. Let's go!"

"Are you sure? I don't want to make us late to class-"

"I'm a hero in training, Midoriya! This is good pratice for me. Even if I can't get us to school on time, you'll have to get a medical pass anyways, and I'm sure if I bring you to the nurse she'll give me a pass too."

"I guess. Thank you."

"Don't mention it."