Chapter 29: Not Yet

Izuku wasn't back to school by Friday.

Or Saturday.

Or Monday.

He had been sleepless for a week now, and he was starting to freak out - he wasn't getting any better, he couldn't save, and he was so tired he almost couldn't move. He hadn't touched his phone since Wednesday, his second sick day, when his friends were all over at Ena's house and used Instagram to video call him. He'd lost count of how many times he heard his phone ring. 

Finally, at 3PM on Monday, it rang, and he picked up. He was tired of staring at the ceiling all day, throwing up whenever he tried to go to sleep. He needed to talk to someone other than his mom, as wonderful as she was.

It was Ena.

"Midoriya, thank God! Why haven't you been answering any of our calls or texts?"

He stayed silent for a moment, putting together a sentence in his tired mind. "I don't know. I just didn't feel like picking up my phone."

"Dude, we thought you were dead! You can't ghost us like that, man."

"I might actually have died and become a ghost. Who knows?" He chuckled dryly.

"Are you still sick?"

"I would've been at school today if I weren't."

 "You should seriously get looked at. You've been sick for a week."

"My mom keeps wanting to take me to a hospital, but I don't think I can walk to the car, and there's no way she can carry me. Plus, we can't afford it. I'll sleep it off."

"How much have you slept this week?"

Izuku hesitated.

"...not at all. Trying makes it worse."

There was a moment of silence between them.

"I'm gonna call 119 for you."

"Don't. We can't afford it, I told you."

"I don't care, you need it. Talk to you later."

"Ena, stop."

Click.

Why did his friends have to care about him?

Izuku didn't want to go to a hospital again. He'd watched his father die in there. He didn't want to follow suit.

The greenette felt hot tears slide down his cheeks, creeping out of the corners of his eyes and dripping onto the scrapes on his neck.

He didn't want to die.