Chapter 28: Sleepless

Izuku, somehow, was unable to sleep all day.

Usually, it's very easy to fall asleep when you're sick. However, it seemed he was too freaked out from his nightmare - if that's what it had been - to keep his eyes closed for too long.

At around noon, he got a call from Aiya. It must be lunch break at school.

"Midoriya! Stay in school! No skipping class!"

"I'm not skipping, I'm dying."

"I know, I know. Wait, are you actually dyi-"

"No, of course not," Izuku laughed. "I would know if I were on my death bed. It's just a virus; I'll get over it."

"How sick are you, though? Ena just said to ask you myself."

"If I tell you, you'll flip. Let's just say I probably won't see you guys until maybe Friday."

"I will not flip. Just tell me."

"You will flip."

"Will not."

"Will too."

"Will not."

"Will too."

"TELL. ME."

"Finefinefine. I have a fever and a stomach bug. Happy?"

"How bad of a fever? How many times have you thrown up?"

"38°, four times." He had tried to eat an apple a few hours ago. It didn't go well.

"You should probably call a doctor."

"I don't wanna."

"Dude."

"Just let me lay in bed for the next seventy-two hours."

"Don't make me call 119 on you." [I looked it up, that's the number in Japan.]

"You wouldn't dare."

"I would."

"I hate hospitals."

"You can deal."

"I literally had a panic attack last time I went into one."

"...why?"

"I hate hospitals. That's all you need to know."

"Okay now I wanna know."

"No."

"Please?"

"Later."

"How much later?"

"If we ever get married and have children, I'll tell you so you know why I won't come with you while you're in the hospital giving birth."

"And if we don't get married and have children?"

"If you're ever in the hospital for something, I suppose."

"Okay, I'm gonna go jump off the school rooftop and crack my skull open. Brb."

"AIYA, NO-"

Aiya hung up. Izuku knew she wasn't actually going to jump off the roof. (If she did, he was NOT resetting to save her.)

Inko poked her head in to check on him.

"Everything alright? Have you gotten some sleep yet?"

"Everything's fine, and no."

"Do you want some melatonin?"

"Nah, I don't wanna be on three pills at once. Probably wouldn't be good for me."

"True. Let me know if you aren't feeling better in a few hours. Or if you are. Or if you're feeling worse. If you feel worse AT ALL, let me know - don't wait until it's been a few hours."

"Mom, chill. I'm your son. Have some trust in me."

"Ah... you're right. Do you want to try eating something? It's about lunch time."

Izuku grimaced. "No, I'm not hungry. Maybe later."

Inko frowned worriedly. "Okay... try and get to sleep, okay?"

"Okay."

She closed the door, and the freckled teen sighed. He put his phone back on the bedside table and closed his eyes. The darkness behind his eyelids shifted into his reflection's grinning face, sunken eyes, tangled hair, blood-

His eyes snapped back open, and he leaned over the trash can next to his bed and threw up.

It was going to be a long day.