Chapter 47: There's a Fine Line Between Honest and Totally Crazy

"So... you're telling me you don't have a quirk, despite the fact that you have one registered and it's quite obvious based on your actions that you used the quirk you have registered."

"Yes." 

Tsukauchi slammed his head onto the table with a groan. 

"I swear to God, your quirk must have an erasure aspect as well. That has to be it, there is no way you're telling the truth."

"Sir, I have no idea what you're talking about. If you look through my medical records, I think you'll find that I was diagnosed as quirkless after getting an x-ray on my foot, which revealed that I have the extra toe joint that you and so many others are lucky enough to be free of. You see, I have a different sort of power. I don't know if it's a gift, a curse, or if the universe decided to experiment, but it sure as hell isn't a quirk."

The detective sighed. "And what does this power of yours do, exactly?"

"Well, it's not precognition."

"Literally every time you open your mouth, this whole thing gets a hundred times more complicated."

"My apologies. Let me explain how it works. Any time I fall asleep naturally - meaning it doesn't work if I'm on anesthesia - I have the option to either 'save' or 'return'. If I save, then if I die before the next time I save, I will go back to that point. If I return, then if I die I will go back to the last save point."

"Hang on - slow down. What?"

"Okay. Um, it's basically video game death mechanics? Like, in a story-based video game, if you die it just takes you back to the last 'save point', right? And in some games, at save points, you have the option of whether or not to save. It's like that. So, if I decided to strangle myself with these handcuffs, I would just wake up this morning and re-do the day."

"...I'm not sure if I should believe you or send you to a mental hospital."

"I swear I'm not crazy! Listen, a while ago I went to get takeout with my mom. We never lock our apartment, and my mom never carries cash with her. The resturaunt we went to had a broken card reader, so my mom had to go back home and get some cash. I stayed at the resturaunt to wait. I called her after she'd been gone for a while, and - actually, I think it was you - yeah, it was you who answered! You said she'd been shot by a burglar in our house. So I - I went over to a dollar store and stabbed myself in the neck with scissors." Tsukauchi stared at him like he was absolutely insane. "It wasn't because I wanted to die! I'm not suicidal, nothing like that! I was pretty sure it would work - and it did work! I woke up, and the day had restarted! So when we left again, to get takeout, I told my mom to bring some cash, and I locked the door. You can ask my mom, she'll tell you! I mean, she won't tell you about me resetting the day, but about me telling her to bring cash and the broken card reader."

Tsukauchi just wanted to let the kid go and never speak to him again, at this point. He was pretty sure the kid wasn't delusional - from what he'd heard from teachers and other students, the kid was perfectly normal. However, he really didn't want to accept that this stuff about video game death mechanics was true. How and why did something like this exist?

He took a deep breath, let it out, and looked Izuku right in the eyes.

"I believe you." Izuku had to hold back a laugh of relief. "I don't want to believe you, and I don't think anyone else will believe you, but I believe you. I'll..." He sighed. "I'll tell them that you didn't use a quirk for your actions. Your charges for vigilantism are dropped."