Chapter 38: Walking

The rest of Izuku's classes went by very quickly - it was mostly just introductions and syllabus reviews, anyways. On his way out of the school at the end of the day, he ran into Uraraka and Iida again.

"Hey, Midoriya!" Uraraka called from several yards away, waving her arms wildly. He made his way over to them, smiling.

"Uraraka, Iida! What's up?"

"Where do you live?" The rosy-cheeked girl asked casually. Izuku stared blankly at her, trying to process why she was asking him where he lived and trying to imagine two hero course students he barely knew seeing his beat-up old apartment. Aiya, Ena and Hanako had made him nervous enough.

"Uraraka, don't be so blunt!" Iida reprimanded her, using rigid, robotic hand motions that Izuku hadn't noticed during lunch. He turned to the greenette. "We would like to have a general idea of where you live so that we can tell you if we live nearby and can therefore walk home together."

"Ohhhhhhh. I live in the D̶̨̧̠̥̙̺͓̗͉̭͎͂́̆̃͋̅͋͑͘͜͝ͅͅͅa̴̛̛͈͕̭͔̽̌͑́̅͛̈́̑̋͌̎̈͠͠ͅg̶̢̧̖͇̩̜̭͇͖̱̫̺̭͚͉̣͆̆͌͊̈́̈́̈͛͐͐̉̀͝o̸̹̥̮̗͙̩͆͋̃̈́̌̌͂͑͐̍̽̊̕͝b̸̛̛̼̓͆ä̶̝̺̪̗̞́̓̏̆͗̾̓̄̊̀͊̓͋͂ḧ̵͎̫̗͓̺̣̝̺̩̫͈̼̬̳̭͔͉́̍̃̏̐́̀́̈́̆̄̾̓͘͠ complex."

"Hey, my house is right near there! I pass by it whenever I go to the outlet mall."

"Ah, mine too."

"Great! Do you wanna walk home with us, Midoriya?" Uraraka's face was as bright as the sun itself when she smiled at him. He wasn't sure if he was up to walking the distance between his house and UA, but he would feel bad declining.

"Sure."

"Yay! Come on, let's get going!"

As they were about to leave school property, Izuku caught sight of a wild mop of purple hair. He stopped.

"Hang on, I see someone I know from 1-C. Let me go bluntly ask him where he lives without context real quick." Uraraka snorted, and Iida, despite himself, smiled slightly. "Shinso! Over here!"

The insomiac turned his head, his tired eyes staring into the freckled teen's soul as he made his way over. 

"What?"

"I'm walking home with Uraraka and Iida. Would you like to join us? If you live nearby, that is."

"Where do you guys live?"

"We all live near the D̶̨̧̠̥̙̺͓̗͉̭͎͂́̆̃͋̅͋͑͘͜͝ͅͅͅa̴̛̛͈͕̭͔̽̌͑́̅͛̈́̑̋͌̎̈͠͠ͅg̶̢̧̖͇̩̜̭͇͖̱̫̺̭͚͉̣͆̆͌͊̈́̈́̈͛͐͐̉̀͝o̸̹̥̮̗͙̩͆͋̃̈́̌̌͂͑͐̍̽̊̕͝b̸̛̛̼̓͆ä̶̝̺̪̗̞́̓̏̆͗̾̓̄̊̀͊̓͋͂ḧ̵͎̫̗͓̺̣̝̺̩̫͈̼̬̳̭͔͉́̍̃̏̐́̀́̈́̆̄̾̓͘͠ complex."

"My place is in that general direction, I think."

"Cool! Let's get going!"

Izuku gave Iida and Uraraka a run-down of the orientation - they were glad they hadn't missed much. Shinso hung back, mostly quiet, but the greenette could tell he was paying attention when the hero course students started talking about their first experience with Mr. Aizawa. The more they said about the man, the more Izuku was sure that that's who Shinso was talking about when he mentioned a certain pro hero in their short conversation that only Izuku remembered.

The walk was a bit long for Izuku - his apartment complex was the farthest, and by the time Uraraka had reached her house, he was quite dizzy. It was worth it, though; sitting silently in a car with a stranger was something he didn't enjoy in the slightest, and even if he almost passed out going up the steps to his apartment, at least most of the walk had been in good company.

When Inko asked him how his first day went, he told her it had been great. He probably needed to lay down for a while, but it had been great.