Chapter 27: Scratches

Inko had given Izuku paracetamol for the fever, and pepto-bismol for the puking. He was currently laying in bed, with a trash can on the floor next to where his head was. Inko had gone back to sleep, but he couldn't seem to quiet his restless mind. He had slept, but he hadn't saved. What did that mean? Did he lose the ability to save when he was sick? If he died while he was sick, would he really die, or would he just go back to the last time he saved?

Eventually, he decided to text Ena to calm himself down, ignoring the fact that it was 4AM.

ᴇɴᴀ

--- ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ ---

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

When is the last time you got sick?

ᴇɴᴀ

why tf are you awake

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Because I can't sleep. Duh

ᴇɴᴀ

ok fine. the last time i got sick... i think it was when i was 7, and i had a cold. it wasn't that bad, but every time i sneezed it was SO LOUD that my parents made me stay home.

ᴇɴᴀ

what abt u

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Just now. I threw up because of how disgusting your grammar is.

ᴇɴᴀ

it's 4:17 am, cut me some slack

ᴇɴᴀ

srsly tho, what abt u

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Okay, I was kidding about your grammar, but I did actually throw up maybe fifteen minutes ago. I'm also 38° [102°].

ᴇɴᴀ

dude

ᴇɴᴀ

you should probably go to a hospital

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Nah, this happens sometimes with me.

ᴇɴᴀ

if that happened to ME, my parents would literally call an ambulance.

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

That's because you have a quirk.

ᴇɴᴀ

quirks have nothing to do with being sick

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

They kinda do, actually. I'm quirkless because I have the extra toe joint that doesn't do anything. Y'know how I have freckles? That's because my skin isn't as good at protecting itself as everyone else's. My immune system also sucks. I've got some sort of illness that most people would barely notice. I'll get over it just fine, but it'll just take a little longer, and my symptoms are worse.

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

I hate it because I'm the only person in our age group that has to deal with this sort of thing. But it's fine.

ᴇɴᴀ

...oof

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Sorry. I didn't mean to complain. I just wish there were people my age that could relate with me about this sort of thing. As far as I know, I'm the only quirkless person that's younger than forty.

ᴇɴᴀ

big oof

ᴇɴᴀ

your lack of quirk doesn't change the fact that you're awesome, tho. remember that sludge villain you frickin stabbed?

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Don't remind me. That was so gross ಠxಠ

ᴇɴᴀ

right, sorry. but still! you didn't need a quirk to blind that thing. the heroes probably wouldn't have been able to get it if it could still see.

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

I know. That was a nice feeling, knowing that I helped. Thanks for listening to my 4AM rant, buddy. See you at school... maybe Friday.

ᴇɴᴀ

oh god, please don't leave me alone with two girls for three whole days

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

You dealt with it for two years, you can handle it for a few days. Also, if you're not going to capitalize anything else, at least capitalize God.

ᴇɴᴀ

fine, fine. *God. get well soon, bro

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Thanks, I'll try. Bye.

Izuku shut off his phone and put it on his bedside table, sighing. Ena could be infuriating, but talking to him always made him smile. 

Absentmindedly, he scratched at an itch on his neck, and winced when something stung at the touch of his fingernail. Grabbing his phone off the bedside table, he pulled up the front-facing camera, trying to use the light from the screen to see his neck. It was too dark; his screen showed nothing but black. 

Giving up, he got out of bed and made his way to the bathroom, switching on the lights and looking at himself in the mirror.

There were scratches all over his neck, like he'd been clawing at it in his sleep.

Clawing...

It dawned on him.

The noose.

He'd been clawing at the noose in his dream, but his fingers had gone right through to his neck.

His stomach was still empty, but he managed to vomit in the sink anyways.