Chapter 22: Cat Nap

Izuku woke up a few hours later after saving. He grabbed his phone out of his pocket - jeez, how had he fallen asleep with that thing in there? - to find several notifications.

ɢʀᴏᴜᴘ ᴄʜᴀᴛ

--- ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ ---

ʜᴀɴᴀᴋᴏ

Hey, Midoriya. Are you sure you're alright? You were acting kind of weird while we were meeting your mom.

ᴇɴᴀ

Yeah, I noticed that you looked kind of scared of us. Everything good?

Had it been that obvious?

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Sorry. I'm not used to bringing people over to my house. I just got a little nervous about what you guys would think.

ᴀɪʏᴀ

Why would you be nervous? It's just your house, and we didn't even go in. Was it because it's an apartment? That's really not a big deal.

Aiya couldn't use her quirk over text, so she had a tendency to ask a lot of questions.

ᴇɴᴀ

She was kind of rude about it, but she's right.

ᴀɪʏᴀ

Hey!!

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

It's fine. It's just that the only friend I had before you guys was kind of a jerk, and he sometimes said stuff about my house that made me self-concious about it.

ᴇɴᴀ

Ah, that sucks. Mean friends are the worst. 

ᴇɴᴀ

Your house doesn't define you, buddy. We only care about you, not where you live.

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

Thanks.

ᴀɪʏᴀ

Sorry, I guess I was kind of rude. You know me; I'm used to knowing everything as soon as somebody says something.

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

I get it.

ʜᴀɴᴀᴋᴏ

Seriously, though. Are you alright? That thing was gross. I can't imagine how awful it would've been to have it inside of you.

ɪᴢᴜᴋᴜ

It was pretty bad, but I'm fine now. See you guys at school tomorrow.

ᴀɪʏᴀ

See you!

ᴇɴᴀ

Later, bro.

ʜᴀɴᴀᴋᴏ

Bye.

---

The freckled teen got up and went to the kitchen, where his mother greeted him.

"Izuku! I was just about to come get you. Dinner's ready!"

He smiled. "Thanks, mom." Sitting down at the table across from her, he served himself some rice and and fish.

"I noticed you were taking a cat nap," Inko chided in between bites. "Will you explain what you guys ran into now?"

"Yeah..." Izuku didn't quite know how to start. "There was this villain that was made out of sludge that came out of a manhole when we went under an overpass. It came at me, and tried to go... inside of me? It was weird. I think it was trying to take over my body. Anyways, I somehow pulled the part of it that was going into me away from the rest of it, so there was a chunk of it in my stomach. Some heroes came and subdued it, and they called an ambulance and the paramedics had me throw up to get the sludge out. I'm fine now! But I didn't really feel like going to the arcade."

Took a long, deep breath, exhaled, and forced herself to remain calm as she spoke. "I'm glad you're okay. Just don't wear your shoes on the bed next time." 

"I didn't even realize I was still wearing them!" Izuku and Inko laughed together, and any doubts Izuku had about the use of his ability melted away.

He had his friends and his mother, and he wouldn't give that up for anything.