Chapter 8 ♛ Mission Inn

Atmosphere's P.O.V:

My emerald eyes reflected the twinkling yellow dangling lights that were on the side of the hotel as we slowly made our way onto our next adventure.

The boys were goofing around as usual while I stayed back to get a good read on the place. But for some odd reason, I couldn't find any sort of energy, not even a bad one. Maybe it's a good thing, because then I won't be too overwhelmed tonight. So, I'm not going to force anything and just relax for once on a trip.

"Look, he stepped on a splinter." Corey chuckled as he pointed at a small sculpture of a man examining his foot.

I playfully rolled my eyes at him before catching up with the rest of them. As usual, Sam and Colby went off to go check in and get some supernatural information with the workers while the rest of us stayed back in the main lobby area. The rest of the boys were chilling on the couch while I quietly walked around and studied each of the sculptures they had on display in the main lobby area.

A warm smile appeared on my face when one of them caught my eye. It was one of a little boy pushing a little girl on a swing-set. It caused a once forgotten memory to re-flood my mind again. It was the day after Jake and I had met for the first time in our neighborhood park. We begged both our parents to bring us back to the park in hopes of seeing one another again. And the funny part is that we didn't even know about that until Jake's mother told us later on in life. I guess even at such a young age we both wanted to be in each other's lives, actually needed to be.

I remember him asking if I wanted to go on the swings, and of course I said yes. But I was struggling with trying to create some sort of movement when I had gotten on my swing. Usually, my mother would help start me off, but this time it was Jake who did. He made sure I had a perfect rhythm before getting on his. He was the first person other than my mother who showed me any sort of love. In someway, it gave me a sense of hope about how life will be for me in the near future.

"Jake." I breathed, "Doesn't this remind you..."My voice trailed off as my emerald eyes became fixated at him. He was on his phone, not paying any other attention to anything else. He quickly shut it off, turning his back towards me and letting his eyes flutter shut.

My heart ached as a frown appeared on my face. My eyes wandered back to the copper sculpture. A mixture of anger and sadness flooded my insides as I continued to stare at it. Now, I wish I didn't even remember that old memory. Sometimes I wish I didn't remember anything at all.

"What were you going to say?" Corey asked as he appeared by my side, startling me.

I held my hand over my pounding heartbeat, "Jeez, you scared me." I let out a shaky breath, "And it's nothing." I brushed his question off.

He eyed me before wrapping his arm around my shoulders, "Let's walk." He insisted, before we slowly walked away from that area.

"Why are we walking?" I asked him as my eyes fluttered up to his.

He looked back slightly, before turning back to me, "I just wanna help distract you from whatever you're feeling at the moment." He explained.

"Corey, I don't feel any spirits right now...."

He shook his head, "I'm not talking about that, Appna." He interrupted me.

"Oh." I mumbled, letting my head hang low.

Was it that obvious to everyone that I've been down lately, because of Jake?

"I don't feel like talking about it." I mumbled as well, my voice cracking slightly.

"I'm not gonna force you to. But just know, don't overthink everything." He said, "It's going to kill you one day." He added.

"Hopefully, it does soon." I mumbled as I crossed my arms over my chest.