Chapter 9 ♛ Drowning Liquor

[trigger warning: mention of suicide]

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
1-800-273-8255

Atmosphere's P.O.V:

We were all laughing, having a great time with each other as we sat around in a stranger's living room just reminiscing about how life has been for us this past year. But some of the laughter that left a few of our lips weren't so genuine. They were forced and lifeless along with our smiles as well. Sometimes having everyone underneath one roof isn't the best idea, especially when two of them who have the strongest bond ever, aren't even on speaking terms. But that's all going to change tonight, because of a single drop of liquor that touches one of their lips.

I could feel his cold glances from across the coffee table every once in a while. Even though they were short, they were very powerful. It felt as if he was setting my insides on fire. Like he wanted me to feel the pain he was feeling inside, but why though? He was the one who put himself in this position. He was the one who stopped being my friend in the first place.

Everyone was having small conversations here and there while I kept quiet, and so did he as well. You could feel the tension in the room, you cut it perfectly with a butter knife. But no one wanted to acknowledge it when they were sober and not even now, when they are wasted as fuck. And to not cause any trouble, we kept our distances from each other even when it didn't feel right to.

Only a handful of us were drunk, the rest didn't want to taste any liquor in fear that unwanted emotions will be spilled all over. Those people were Jake and I. Colby and Tara didn't feel like drinking for a different reason. They wanted to be the dd's even though no one was leaving this place tonight. So out of twenty people, only four will remember this night to a 'T' while the rest will never have any regulation of it. And the ones who will remember this night will wish they never did.

The sound of a new bottle of beer being opened caught my attention for some reason. My dark eyes fluttered over to the direction it came from and noticed that someone I truly loved was taking their first sip of the night. An unwanted feeling settled inside of me because of it. I knew if he had a few more rounds, his feelings would pour out and there would be no way of stopping him.

"You guys never told us what happened on your last overnight." Kian mentioned. His words were slightly slurred, which I didn't like one bit.

I never liked being around drunk people for too long. And you all may know it by now, because of my past. I knew no one in this room was like my deceased father when it came to drinking, but I still always carried the fear inside of me. That's why I refuse to taste any sort of liquor or be near someone who does, in fear that my father would come out of one of us.

"It was scary like usual." Colby answered.

"More like sad." Sam chuckled lightly.

You could tell that the alcohol was starting to work on him, on all of them. So these conversations are too meaningless to even be having, because no one would remember them... right?

"Why sad?" Jc chimed as he set down his newly refilled solo cup.

Sam randomly started laughing uncontrollably, "Ask her." He said in between laughs as he pointed at me.

My eyes widen from the fear that was settling deeper into my bones. For some odd reason, our small conversation was now interesting to everyone else in the room and they decided to lean in a little bit closer and listen. I knew that I wanted tonight to go smoothly so I had to lie, I just had to.

"It's just because of the history." I lied, trying to protect myself.

"Don't lie, Atmosphere." Man bun decided to put his two cents in when he didn't need to.