Chapter 23 ♛ The Past

[trigger warnings: domestic violence and suicidal references]

Atmosphere's P.O.V:

My knuckles were pure white as I tightly gripped the base of the metal bat and held it up beside my right ear. My heart violently pounded against my chest as those heavy footsteps were heading my way. Tears clouded my vision, but I could still make out what was around me even in this poor lighting.

"You're just like your mother." My father's voice echoed throughout the house, "She always thought she could put up a fight, but we all know how that turned out." He chuckled like a madman.

My lips trembled as well did my hands. But I knew I couldn't let fear get to me at this very moment. I had to go through with this plan without messing up, because if I do... well, I don't want to know what happens afterwards if I don't successfully kill my own father.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are." He sang with a slurred speech.

The smell of alcohol tickled my nose indicating that he was much closer to me now. I held my bat a little higher and got into my ready position. One swing should do the trick, right? I mean even though his body is built like a linebacker, I should be able to knock him out with one nice swing to the temple.

"Atmosphere, I'm fucking tired of your shit!" He screamed, startling me, "Stop acting like I'm some kind of monster!"

The room fell silent, but the way my heart was pounding against my chest made it feel like I could be heard from miles away. I feared that he could hear me. And if he could hear me, then he knows exactly where I am.

In the corner of my eye I saw his shadow appear on the wall. He was only now a couple feet away for me. Any second now, he would be on the floor and I will be safe. I will finally be safe,

As soon as his shadow was replaced with his figure, I swung my bat as hard as I could. But he instantly caught it in his hands causing a whimper to leave my lips.

I had just failed my attempt for eternal freedom.

"So pathetic." He chuckled before tossing the bat to the side.

I stumbled over my own feet as I backed myself into a corner with no exit for me to escape to.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't..." He didn't even let me get a chance to apologize to him and instead, slammed my head against the wall, instantly knocking me to the floor. A loud cry left my lips as I held my head in my hands. My vision was going in and out of focus, but I knew I had to stay awake. I just had to.

He quickly grabbed my right arm and yanked down by sleeve exposing my unflawed wrist.

"What... what are you doing?" I asked, breathless.

"People like you need to learn their lesson." He said as he pulled out his pocket knife, "They will take good care of you, Atmosphere. And maybe, even fix your mind as well." He chuckled before slicing away at my wrist.

A piercing scream left my lips, "Stop! Stop!" I cried out as I tried stopping my blood from pouring out of my wrists.

"Atmosphere! Atmosphere!"

"Please, stop! I'm sorry!" I begged as I watched my entire life flash before my very eyes.

Strong arms found their way around me, tightly holding my trembling body. But this was only making things worse for me, because I couldn't tell the difference between reality and my own nightmares.