future. | claude

warnings: cursing i think idk, suggestive?

you tossed and turned in your bed. the dorm was quiet without sothis. this night was unsettling and silent, a heavy blanket of different emotions covering the monastery. anger, betrayal, sadness, fear. they all drifted through the halls and minds of sleeping and conscious students.

you were one of the conscious ones. you had tried for hours to sleep, but the bed seemed to be made of nails. each nail was stabbing you in the heart, making it heavier with each beat.

you couldn't take it anymore. you couldn't stand to be alone. you threw the blankets off of your body and wrapped your cloak around yourself, leaving your room into the chilly air.

the stone was cold beneath your feet as you glided quietly up the dormitory stairs, your mind knowing exactly where to take you. soon you were in front of a large wooden door, your hand raised to knock.

"come in." the voice replied.

you opened the door and peaked in, your mind finding relief in the familiar and comforting face.

"hey teach," claude smiled, "it's late. what brings you here?"

you shook your head. "i can't sleep."

"i'm surprised. you've had an eventful week, if i were you i'd be knocked out." he patted the bed beside him for you to join, "are you overthinking again?"

you padded to him and sat on the bed, shedding your cloak on the floor as the warmth invited you. "a little. im just afraid of what's going to happen next. i used to sometimes console in my father in times like these, but i can't quite do that now."

claude looked at you, his eyes filled with a soft emotion. "you can console in me. im here for you, yknow."

you nodded your head and turned to blow out his lamp. you slid down into his blankets and felt him do the same, his shoulder and arm touching your back as you laid away from him. it was silent for a few moments until you spoke up again.

"i'm scared. im so, so scared. without sothis, i don't know what to do. she was my rock. and suddenly this war, and edelgard, i thought she was promising. i don't know who to trust anymore," you spilled.

claude stayed quiet, but his arm slipped under your head and wrapped around your shoulder, his fingertips running circles on your arm.

"i don't want this new power. i want to have a normal year and teach with you guys. now no one will ever look at me the same. everyone's already said they fear me."

"wow," claude breathed out, "that's the most i've ever heard you talk. but i understand that. i can't say i've been through what you have, because i haven't lived with a goddess my entire life, but i can empathize. but, no matter who turns against you, i'll always be here. everyone in the golden deer will, but even if they aren't, i will be.

ill always look at you the same. ill always see you as y/n, the best professor and friend that i could ever have. and i just know that you'll come out of this war okay, because ill be there to protect you."

you giggled a little and turned to face him. "i think i'll be the one protecting you."

claude looked at you again with that fond look and faced you as well. "let me have this moment."

his other arm wrapped around your waist and pulled you towards him. your legs tangled with each other as your hand rested on his chest. you smiled once more and laid your forehead against his chest as he rubbed your back and waist.

you were nearly asleep when you felt a pressure against the top of your head. you brushed it off as claude's chin as he fell asleep, but then the pressure disappeared.

then reappeared.

and then it occurred to you that he was kissing the top of your head.

you lifted your head a little to look into his eyes and laid your hand against his cheek. "i'm going to do something, and i'm sorry if you don't like it, but-"

your words were cut off by his lips pressing against yours. you were mad at first, but ignored that feeling as your heart flipped around in your chest. butterflies were an understatement.

claude tried to pull you even closer as one hand continued to rub your back while the other traveled down to your thigh, hoisting it over his hip. your hands tangled in his hair and twisted around his braid. you tugged slightly and he gasped, slightly pulling away.

"don't do that now," he whispered against your lips, "lorenz is in the room beside us and he never sleeps. he'll hear."

you smirked, "well, i guess we'll just have to wait until we're completely alone then, hm?"

he pressed a lingering kiss to the tip of your nose and pushed your head gently back against his chest, hand going to your hair to play with it. you inhaled, breathing in his comforting scent and feeling better.

"i'm not so worried about the future as long as you're in it," you said.

claude smiled, "and i feel the same, my love."