picnic. | henry

"Henry, what is this?"

"A picnic, my dear!"

Spread before you was a tarp, covered in multitudes of dishes and drinks. Flower petals laid in the places where food didn't, as well as a large bouquet in the middle. Lanterns shone in the corners, holding the tarp down.

"Y'know, when you said that you needed me to come see an emergency, I thought you were talking about enemies."

"No enemies here except the ones who may try to break us apart. They won't win anyways, so it's best if they don't try. Or else..." Henry then giggled, "Sit! Let's eat!"

You sat down, still trying to see how exactly the two of you would be able to eat a feast for twenty. Henry immediately dug in. You knew that the food would be gone before you even got a change to get any, so you quickly scooped up a small plate and began eating- unlike a savage, unlike Henry.

He ate loudly, practically tearing through everything. He laughed- just being Henry.

You had to admire him- really. His violet eyes always shone with glee, whether it be genuine or sadistic. He was a skilled fighter and mage. Incredibly useful to the army. It was strange, really, how you'd gotten so close to him.

You thought he'd only cared about body counts when it came to killing, not relationships. But each to their own, you guessed.

Finishing up, Henry quickly packed up the picnic basket and you stood up, fully prepared to head back to camp with him. Henry would be the one to eat and leave, after all. But instead he shook his head, setting the basket to the side and laying down on his back with his arm outstretched. You only looked at him.

"Well? Aren't you gonna join?" He laughed.

You moved slowly, laying into his side as his arm wrapped around your shoulders. "I'm just surprised you wanted to stay, is all."

"Of course I do, darling! It seems as though we don't spend enough time together and we should. Our days are limited after all."

Typical Henry. Always thinking about death. "Would you be sad if I died?" You had to ask. He'd never shown mercy to anyone.

Henry stayed silent for a moment. "I think I would. The other people I kill... they- they're not you. I care about you. A lot."

"Aw, I care about you too."

Henry turned his head and pressed a kiss to your forehead, closing his eyes as the sun set. Only crickets could be heard along with his soft breathing. You were getting drowsy yourself, but you knew you had to head back to camp soon. You lifted yourself up, Henry's eyes watching your movements questioningly.

"We should head back- it could get dangerous at night."

Henry groaned, twisting and wrapping his arms around your middle to pull you back down. "Ten more minutes."

You smiled, holding the back of his head as he placed kisses onto your collarbone. "Five?"

"Eight."

"Fine, my love."