parents? [1] | claude

The village was in ruins. Nobody was spared in the fire as three demonic beasts rampaged through the rubble. The Golden Deer house fought valiantly to save every life, but oftentimes such a thing simply could not happen. The beasts were too strong, knocking out four of the team's own fighters before they finally defeated them.

Many people, like Marianne, were visibly distraught at such a tremendous loss. She was being comforted by Lysithea, who held no emotion, save for a rather troubled look in her eyes. Ignatz seemed crestfallen as well, as did some others. You, on the other hand, were rather angry. You were furious at the destruction around you. The fires, the destroyed homes, the lost lives.

It was under Claude's leadership that these people weren't saved. The professor was dealing with other matters, so she couldn't be there to lead. Mistakes were made and they cost people their lives. You'd never truly cared for the boy, finding his "schemes" and his cocky and nosy personality rather annoying, but this was the icing on the cake for you.

Bristling in anger, you marched over to said boy, pointing a harsh finger into his chest. "This is YOUR fault."

"My fault?" Claude nearly laughed. "Yeah, sure, some things happened, but that's what happens in battle, Y/N. This was a collective failure."

"Those things cost people their lives, Claude. I can't believe you're so inconsiderate."

Claude's eyes lit up a little in frustration. "I'm inconsiderate? As if I didn't try my hardest to save everyone? I'm new at leading. I'm only 17, if you don't fucking remember. It's not like I knew this was going to happen-"

A loud wail interrupted him. You furrowed your brows, looking at Claude before turning and looking around.

"What's that?"

Claude shrugged, "A survivor, I hope."

You ignored him and ran in the direction of the noise, stopping at a charred house. The fire had stopped, but the crying hadn't. As you walked inside the burnt skeleton of the house, you hoped that the fire didn't seriously hurt someone. They'd have trouble making it back to the monastery to be healed.

Another cry sounded as you moved into another room of the house. There, underneath a small, wooden-framed bed, laid a child. He was no older than 6, tears making trails down his ash-covered face. You kneeled down, trying to make yourself less intimidating to coax him out.

"Hey buddy," You reached a hand out, internally grimacing as the little boy flinched away, "We're not here to hurt you. We need to get you somewhere safe."

The little boy looked around. "Wh-where is everybody?"

Your heart broke and you looked back at Claude, who had followed you, your eyes pleading for help. He sighed and knelt down beside you. "They all had to leave. It was really, really dangerous so they had to keep you safe. We're here now to keep you even safer."

That seemed to have calmed the little boy down at least a little. He slowly and shakily walked towards you. You held out both arms, silently asking to pick him up. He obliged and nearly crawled into you and you wrapped yourself tightly around him, whispering reassurances as he sat on your hip. You looked at Claude next, your face asking, "What the hell do we do?"

Claude only shrugged and walked back to the rest of the team, leaving you to trail slowly behind. You'd take him back to the monastery and go from there. The orphanage was rather full- there was no way they'd be able to care for another one.

— — —

"We can't help him in the way that you're asking, Y/N. I apologize."

Your heart dropped. Rhea had asked you to talk to the lady at the orphanage anyways, hoping that she would be able to accept him. Unfortunately, she couldn't.