Letters | Hubert von Vestra

Hubert sat silently, eyeing you subtly as you poked and prodded at the black box that lay upon your desk. He held his breath as you inspected it, praying to the Goddess above that you didn't look his way to see how stiff he was. 

You had come into the classroom a few moments after he did, chatting away with Dorothea. When you'd noticed the box, your eyebrows had furrowed. Dorothea looked over her shoulder when you weren't looking, making eye contact with him and winking. Hubert flushed but quickly turned away to talk to Edelgard and now Caspar, who had joined the group. The blue-haired boy was a bit too dim at times to notice Hubert's distraction. 

He still watched out of the corner of his eye as you opened the box and picked up the letter. He had spent hours writing it to try and mask his handwriting, fretting over if you would like it or not. It was probably the most stressed he'd ever been. Edelgard had laughed at him. 

"My dearest Y/N,

You truly are beautiful. I am not one to be overly sappy, or sappy at all, but I simply cannot hold it in much longer. You make my day better and I enjoy seeing you smile every day. I only wish I could be the sole reason for it."

You leaned over to Dorothea, showing her the letter. Your voice echoed across the classroom, reaching Hubert's ears. "This writing is so poetic. It sounds like Ferdinand," you said thoughtfully. "But I thought Ferdinand was into--"

"Y/N, dear, it's not Ferdie." She responded.

"It's gotta be, nobody else speaks like this-"

"It's not. I promise you it's not Ferdinand."

You squinted your eyes at her, a little upset that your friend was keeping a secret from you, but brushed it off. Dorothea never kept anything from you and if she did, then it was serious. You sighed. Maybe this mystery person— who you were still convinced was Ferdinand— would show up eventually.

— — —

For the second time this week, you looked at the black box that was placed beside your plate. This time, it had a beautiful bow of your favorite color wrapped around it. 

You had only gone outside to speak to Sylvain, who could've put it here this quickly?

You opened it up and read the note inside, this time accompanied by a small charm necklace with your initial.

"Y/N,

I'm glad you're using your process of elimination because I am certainly not Ferdinand. I do believe I would rather die than be that pompous. However, since my anonymity is still secure, I would like to tell you that the feelings I have for you are unmatched by any other. Feelings of affection, desire, love. Everyone in our House told me to drag out my confession to make it more meaningful, but why should my presentation be more memorable than the confession itself?

Thus, I will only give you one more letter. If you do not figure it out... I suppose you'll see. Good luck."

You shook your head as Petra read the letter from over your shoulder. "Who do you think it could be?" she asked.

"Honestly, I have no idea. I can't think of anyone who'd be interested in someone like me," you sighed. "I would think that their insult to Ferdinand would give something away, but I can't think of anything. There's a lot of people who don't like him. Maybe it's a prank or something."

"I don't think so. The letter said that they were in the same House as us. What about Hubert? He's always insulting somebody." Dorothea chirped.

Your cheeks blossomed a small shade of red as you glanced over your shoulder at the man sitting at a table near you. "Absolutely not, impossible. I don't think he's capable of those feelings."

Taking your friends' silence as a question, you clarified. "Hubert's great. Wonderful, even. He's got so much going for him, he couldn't possibly want someone like me. I can't get my hopes up just because I might like him."

The two girls who were with you looked at each other with an emotion you couldn't place before joining you in changing the conversation. None of you noticed the raven-haired male with his eyebrows furrowed, wondering how you couldn't fathom his affection towards you.

— — —

"Y/N, my love,

This is my last letter. Perhaps you're denser than what I had originally thought if you still cannot figure it out. I must say, however, I certainly love your density. I can confidently admit now that I love everything about you.

-H"

"H... h... HILDA!"

Dorothea slapped her forehead. "No, you dumb bitch!"

"Who's name starts with an h? What the fuck-"

"HUBERT! ITS HUBERT, Y/N, YOU STUPID FUCK!"

You could only stare at her, face scrunched in disbelief. Hubert? Impossible.

He's so emotionally ... unavailable.

"How do you know?" you finally asked.

"All of the Eagles were in on this. Y/N, he's been planning it for weeks. He's not good with words- he tried to practice with Edelgard and nothing worked, so he just wrote you letters. Please. We're all desperate."

You only looked at her and stood up, walking to said man's dorm room. Knocking on the door, you took a few deep breaths in a futile attempt to calm your racing heart. A few seconds later, Hubert opened the door with a single rose in his hand.

"It's you?"

"Uh, yeah," Hubert struggled to look you in the eye, instead choosing to stare off to the side. He honestly looked constipated, but you knew he was just struggling. "It's me."

"But- but why? why me? You're so, so you, and I'm so me. I just don't understand-"

"How is it so hard to understand?" His head cocked slightly, "Y/N, you cannot see how highly everyone thinks of you here, myself included. You're one of the only people I can stand here, and I couldn't help but subconsciously let my guard down. The heart wants what it wants. This was incredibly difficult for me, so I hope you feel honored to have my affection."

"I just don't-"

"Listen," Hubert placed the rose down and gently took your hands. He took a breath and made himself look at you. You prayed he didn't notice how sweaty they were. "Y/N. We all know I'm not the best with words or any kind of sentiment, but I'm going to try. You're beautiful. You're strong, caring, loving, and everything good in the world. Edelgard says I need someone like you to balance me out, and I fully agree with her. I do not have a reason why I love you. I just do."

A shy smile crept its way onto your face. "I love you too."