breathless. | claude

warnings: implications, cursing

balls were never your thing.

no, not those kind.

the ones where you dance with others.

they made you anxious and uncomfortable. one could even say disgusted. tens of people in a crowded room, all dancing their hearts out to a thousand-year-old dance. their sweaty bodies mingling with each other, the humidity in the air going wild.

not only did you hate the close contact, you hated the outfits.

sure, a skirt now and then is nice. hell, you wore one in your monastery uniform. but the plump, oversized dresses were ridiculous in your opinion. the silks, lace, and satin combining to create a sauna around the body, creating chafing and unbearable heat.

corsets were the worst of them. you could handle the skirts and the pompous designs, but the corsets were absolute hell. restricting the breathing, aching the ribs, and pushing up the top were only three of the reasons you hated them. you were here to learn to become a knight, not to show off to men. but, there was one good thing about this ball.

claude von riegan.

his elegance was uncanny and just his smile lit up the entire ballroom. he wore his heir-of-house-riegan outfit, embellished with the alliance crest on the shoulder. his normally unruly hair was laid back a little more for this night, as if he had tried to make an even larger impression. you didn't know it was possible for him to ever get any more handsome.

"i noticed you looking my way. care for a dance?"

a hand was held out towards your way and you looked up, seeing claude smiling down at you. you blushed, hearing that he caught you staring, but took his hand nevertheless. you hated balls, but there was no way that you were going to pass up an opportunity to dance with the boy.

claude pulled you onto the dance floor, a song that didn't have a formal dance to it finally playing. claude rested his hands on your waist, politely staying away from going any lower. yours rested on his shoulders awkwardly. claude laughed lightly.

"you act like i'm gonna bite you," he said.

"no, no," you replied, "i'm just... nervous. i don't know how to dance."

claude hummed. "well then, just follow my lead. ill take care of you."

he led you in a three step waltz, moving along to the beat of the music. all was going nice and well, unless you count the amount of times that you stumbled over your feet as well as claude's. many dances came and went and your hands never left claude's, staying on the dance floor as your attention zeroed in on solely him. another dance finished and you looked into his eyes, panting slightly.

claude chuckled, "tired?"

"only a little," you responded, "more like i can't breathe."

"let's go outside for a bit and take a breather, then, shall we?" claude extended his hand to you a second time for this evening and you took it again, allowing him to lead you outside.

the air outside the room was clear and refreshing compared to the stuffiness of inside. you let go of claude's hand to sit on the edge of a fountain, out of sight from the ballroom. claude joined you and his fingers laid gently across your thigh, basking in the comfortable quiet.

you were still breathing quite hard, cursing the corset in your mind. hilda must have tightened it too much.

"do i make you that breathless?" claude suddenly joked.

"i-uh, it's actually my corset," you explained sheepishly, "i think hilda messed it up and it's kinda hurting."

claude's eyebrows knitted together in concern. "hurting? take it off, then."

you flushed a deep red, shaking your head. "no! that would be so immodest."

"so? here, i'll help. turn around."

you made a sound of protest before claude grabbed your shoulders and turned you, making you face away from him. you felt the back of your dress unbuttoning slightly before claude worked at the silk ribbons of your corset, untying the bow and gently loosening it. you relaxed and sighed in relief at the feeling of being able to breathe once again.

claude laughed slightly and fully undid the corset, taking it out of your dress and laying it on the ground in front of the two of you. his fingers danced along your skin a little as he buttoned back up your dress. he paused for a moment before getting to the last button. your face contorted in confusion for a moment, but then your eyes shot open as you felt a pressure against your shoulder blade.

claude had kissed your shoulder.

right as he finished the top button, you whirled around and threw your arms around his neck, pressing your lips to his. claude grabbed your hips and pulled you closer, returning the kiss with equal fervor.

after a few moments you pulled away from him and laid your forehead against his, smiling.

"to answer your question," you whispered, "yes. you do make me this breathless."