Hymn Ceremonies | Dimitri Blaiddyd

Your bow glided across the violin, strings vibrating as your fingers danced across the neck. The door was locked, preventing anyone from interrupting your concerto. You were immersed in the music, eyes barely reading the sheets in front of you. You had it memorized, after all and had been practicing the entire week.

Yes, you were tired, but there would be a hymn ceremony soon in the cathedral and you were asked to play alongside the organist. You couldn't mess up and be a disgrace to whatever Saint was being worshipped today- as if not knowing which Saint it was would be any better.

You didn't hear anything except for your melody- even the incessant knocks coming from behind your door. The person had been out there for a solid five minutes and their knocks were becoming more and more impatient. You finished playing through and set the violin down, finally opening the door to reveal Dimitri.

"What have you been doing? The ceremony is in an hour and you haven't been out of your room at all today. You've missed classes, training, and meals." He scolded, entering your room like he owned it.

You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. "I've been practicing?"

"You've been practicing for weeks now. Ever since Lady Rhea asked you to play. How stressed are you?"

"I'm not stressed, I'm just making sure it's perfect. I can't just mess up while worshipping a Saint."

It was Dimitri's turn to be confused now. How was ensuring perfection not stressful? He didn't understand it- he didn't understand you half of the time- but he decided not to question it. You hadn't eaten all day and he had a tray of food waiting outside for you. Dimitri turned around and brought the tray in, moving your music stand out of the way to set it on your desk.

"Hey! Chill out, don't let all the music fall!" You cried, grabbing papers that had slipped off the stand.

"Eat now, music later," Dimitri replied, sitting on your bed. "I'll leave when you do."

"...What? Do you not trust me to eat?"

"Honestly, no. I don't trust you to eat. I have reason to believe that you'll neglect the plate and continue practicing."

You could only huff, knowing he was right, and sit down to grumpily munch on your food. Dimitri had gotten bored, picking up your sheet music to look through it. You watched him as he looked at it, occasionally nodding.

"Why did you add a crescendo here?"

What?

"What?" It was like he read your mind. "What's that look for?"

"Nothing, nothing. I just didn't expect you to know about music, is all." You recovered. "I added one there because it's a longer note. The organ's harmony is going to be moving beneath it, so I want to have my part maintain musicality as it moves to stand out against it..." You explained, feeling a little embarrassed for not realizing that a noble would be at least a little versed in music.

Dimitri nodded. "Good choice. You know, I heard you playing through the door. You're quite good- better than I was when I was forced to learn some of those dastardly things."

You could only respond with a meek "thanks" before returning to your lunch as Dimitri continued to look at your music. You eyed him discreetly, admiring him. His ocean-blue gaze swam across the pages, his head bobbing and finger tapping along to the rhythm as his foot tapped out a tempo. You couldn't help but look at him, really, he was just so... lookable. You had nursed a crush on him since the beginning of the school year and you'd wished that he'd felt the same.

It was impossible, but you could dream. You could imagine the two of you together, you playing on your violin and him on the piano- or anything else he chose, you wouldn't be complaining as long as you were with him. You wished to be the harmony to his melody. The treble to his bass clef. His duet partner.

Those dreams were destined to fail, though. Especially if you messed up. Then the Goddess would hate you and Dimitri would never see you as worthy of his love if you couldn't even play a simple song-

"It's time to go, Y/N. Pack up your things and we can head there together."

— — —

The vibrato on your last note was impeccable, but you couldn't tell if it was from you actually trying or your hand just shaking from your nerves. Either way, you finished playing along without any trouble. You breathed out a sigh of relief, glad to be finished.

As the prayer finished and students filtered out of the Cathedral, Dimitri came up to you, grasping your hand in both of his.

"You did absolutely wonderful!" He exclaimed happily. "But your entire body is trembling, come here." The blond prince pulled you into an embrace, which did nothing to soothe your nerves.

Be still, my heart.

Dimitri, on the other hand, was feeling the same exact way. Only his nerves couldn't be justified by stage fright. They could only be explained as his feelings for you. And his happiness that he gets to hold you close, even just for a moment. He held you tighter, wanting to savor the moment, before pulling away.

He kept a tight grip on your shoulders and took a deep breath. "Maybe we can talk about music and some other things over tea one day soon?"

Your face lit up in excitement and in a rosy blush. "Oh! Of course, I'd love to."

"Great.." He breathed out, his smile growing larger. He brushed a piece of your hair away from your face and leaned closer, pressing a kiss to your forehead before heading out of the Cathedral. "Tomorrow evening, okay? I can't wait to see you then."

Then he turned, "And bring your violin. I'd like for you to teach me a few things."