You're Not Alone. | Dimitri Blaiddyd

Sometimes, life just isn't that great. And that's okay.

Not everything goes to plan. Not everything is happiness and sunshine. Not everyone is going to like you, and you're not going to like everyone. And that's okay.

You were figuring out those things today.

Often, it's easy to understand why something happens or why people feel the way that they do. It's a little harder when you wake up, feeling a way that can only be described as off.

"It's just an off day!" You'd say with a smile, bashfully avoiding the professor's gaze as you'd done bad in a reason lesson.

You definitely disappointed her.

"Just an off day." You said to Mercedes as she watched you burn your hand for the second time since kitchen duty began. Ten minutes ago. She made you stop trying to cook.

Way to make her job harder.

"Off day!" You exhaled an apology as Felix knocked you to the ground once more during combat training. He only glared back, turning to Dimitri to start another round.

He hates you, you're awful at fighting.

Off days happened for everyone, so why were you so discouraged? Why did your bad day seem... worse than everyone else's?

————

During dinner, you sat alone. Your head leaned against your injured hand, ignoring the pain. The other poked at the food with a fork. Mercedes did all of the work- she didn't want you getting hurt again.

More like she didn't want you in the way. You were a burden to them, after all.

You shook your head. You knew better than to let yourself get plagued with such thoughts. Thoughts that you knew weren't true. And yet, it was so hard to get rid of them.

They danced around in your mind rent-free, forcing you to relive your embarrassments from the day and even further in the past. You shook again, but nothing left. It was like your mind was solely focused on reminiscing about today. Normally, you wouldn't mind a little recap. Today just... wasn't a good time.

Something plopped onto your bandaged hand. A tear.

You sniffed and lifted the hand to your eye, wiping away a few more droplets that threatened to fall.

None of that. What would the others think if they saw you being so weak?

But, you couldn't help it. Right as the giant wave of emotion crashed over you, you stood up and left the dining hall. You felt bad for just leaving your dirty plate, but there was no way you could keep it in that long.

You had to get back to your room. Nobody could see you like this-

"Hey."

There was a grip on your wrist.

"Yes?" You kept your head down, trying to avoid Dimitri's gaze.

"Are- are you alright?"

You tensed a little. Good question. Shrugging, you replied, "I suppose."

"Then why won't you look at me?"

His voice sounded slightly hurt. Dimitri had always had a rather large heart. To turn him away... you felt guilty. Of course, you'd hurt him. The one person you couldn't bear to lose

Slowly, you met his gaze. Worry swam in the pools of blue. You almost looked away again in fear of drowning in such vast oceans. Dimitri stepped closer, his hand moving from your wrist to your hand, playing with your fingers.

"What's wrong?"

You shook your head as your nose burned. It was an insignificant problem. Something the prince of Faerghus shouldn't worry himself with. "Nothing, really."

Dimitri sighed slightly and- did he roll his eyes at you? Rude. "If it's nothing, then you should have no issue indulging me."

"I have no issue at all. There is nothing to indulge you in." You all but ripped your hand away, going back to your room.

How dare he think he's entitled to your thoughts? Especially when they don't concern him. They shouldn't concern him, it's not like he cares about you. He has larger problems, you're sure.

"Please, Y/N." He sounded a little defeated but followed behind. "I just want to help."

"I don't want help."

"If you don't want help, then let me be a shoulder for you to cry on. A support system, please-"

Liar.

"Why? It's not like any of you actually like me." You mumbled, reaching your door. Dimitri followed in before you could close it, pushing past you.

"That's nonsense. Who made you feel that way? I'd like to have a word with them."

"Dimitri, please, stop pretending!" The noises in your head increased, getting louder and louder in your ears every time he tried to reassure you. "Stop pretending like you care!"

"Y/N, I do care! If I didn't then I wouldn't be here."

Dimitri's voice shook and you couldn't help but blame it on yourself. He wouldn't be stressed if it wasn't for you. You stayed silent as he swallowed for a moment.

"If I didn't care then I wouldn't love you as much as I do."

Your eyebrows furrowed. You'd been trying this whole time to look at him like he asked, but you couldn't anymore.

Dimitri didn't like that. He wanted to see you. He came closer and lifted your chin, forcing your eyes back. The worry from earlier had been replaced with a loom of affection- pure adoration. If it hadn't washed over you so intensely, you definitely would've tried to deny that it was even there.

But it was.

"Y/N," he murmured, "I'm here for you. I care about you- everyone does. You're enough and I just wanted you to be able to depend on me to give you the love and comfort you deserve. You don't have to deal with your bad thoughts alone."

His thumb came up and wiped a small tear off your cheek. You hadn't even noticed that it fell. You still were speechless, but your nod told Dimitri all he needed to know as he closed the gap between you.