Succumb | Hubert von Vestra

"I don't see why you have such an interest in me," You laid your head in your hand as you rested your elbows on the bar of the cell. You trailed a finger across the metal, collecting rust and dust that made you internally cringe.  "I'm not that cool."

"I don't," Hubert replied, leaning against the stone wall of the hallway outside of your cell. "Lady Edelgard thinks that you know more than you're letting on about a few rebellions in the east. I'm only here to get that information."

You shrug. "I don't have anything to tell, so have a nice day. Bye."

Hubert rolled his eyes, crossing his arms. "I cannot leave unless I get at least one thing to bring back to Her Majesty."

"Tell her that the Empire can suck my-"

"Enough." You could tell Hubert was beginning to get frustrated with you. Perhaps if you pushed it enough, he'd get the hint. "Just- enough. You will learn soon that your loyalties should lie with us. Until then, we care not for you."

As Hubert turned on his heel and walked away, you felt an urge bubbling in your throat. An urge to have the last word. "I care not for the Empire either!" You yelled, "Kiss my ass!"

The Empress's right hand only huffed and closed the door, leaving you with the other prisoners. You sat down and looked around the walls, looking for ways to escape, only to end up at a standstill. It seemed like forever passed by before you heard the door open once again.

Down came Hubert again, this time with Edelgard. He slammed his hand on your cell door and you jumped, startling you from your boredom. You walked up to the door again to greet them.

"What's up, Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dumbass?"

Hubert's eyes narrowed. "What?"

"Nothing, nevermind, the jokes ruined. What do you want?"

"We want to know what you know." Edelgard folded her hands in front of her, "What is the Alliance's next move?"

"Our next move is straight up your ass." You pretended to check your nails.

"No more ass jokes, please--" Hubert began

"Y/N, you've always been insufferable. Even during our monastery days." Edelgard cut in, obviously getting frustrated. She should've known. 

You rolled your eyes. "And you've always been annoying, princess, with that little stick shoved up your ass. Lighten up, will you? I might tell you a little something if you ask nicely."

"Okay. Y/N, will you please tell us what you know."

"No."

"You little--"

"ENOUGH!" Edelgard threw her hands down. 

Really, you had no issue with the Empire. You weren't necessarily a part of any side of the war like they thought you were, instead choosing to be a mercenary for whatever side pays better. It just happened that the Alliance hired you to get some information about the Empire's next move and you were unlucky enough to get caught. 

"Y/N, you do realize you're fighting for the wrong side, correct?" Edelgard calmed her tone, decidedly using a different approach in hopes that it would convince you. 

You were already convinced and couldn't care less, you just felt like causing issues since they decided to put you in a stingy jail cell. 

"I'm not on a side."

"The Empire is working tirelessly to make Fódlan-- wait, what?"

"I'm not on the Alliance's side. I'm a mercenary. They just wanted some documents from the Monastery. But, I'll help out here instead for a nice little compromise."