parents? [2] | claude

"Where are we going?"

"Just to Claude's room. You remember Claude, right? We sit by him sometimes in class."

"Oh. He has cool earrings."

You only nodded, laughing a bit at the boy. It had been two weeks since you had taken in August and he'd gotten more and more comfortable with you each day. He finally started talking more and showing his true personality- a sweetheart. August was still rather quiet and only spoke unless spoken to, but you weren't going to push anything. The poor boy did lose his entire family after all, he was probably at least a little traumatized.

You knocked on Claude's door, ready to hand the boy off for a few minutes while you showered. August stayed behind you, looking out of the windows in the hallway. You heard a bit of fumbling before the door opened a crack, Claude sticking only his head out.

"May I help you?"

"What are you hiding?"

"Wow, nosy aren't you?" Claude laughed dryly. "And here I thought you were actually visiting me instead of just bringing me a child for an hour. But if you'd like to know, I also just recently got out of the shower. I've had to alter my schedule to fit yours so you can leave him here. It's bullshit, really." Claude opened the door more to reveal his entire self.

You practically covered your face. He was shirtless, his winter night-pants hanging low on his hips as his hair was still mussed up from the shower. "First, language. Second, put on some damn clothes!"

Claude laughed, turning around to go to his closet. "Bring yourself and the boy in for a minute while I do just that. I can't leave him 'unoccupied', which is what I would be doing if I changed."

You rolled your eyes and motioned for August to enter first. He did, immediately going to Claude's desk and grabbing a bouncy ball that Sylvain had given him for no apparent reason one day. As you watched him bounce it around, you noticed that his shoe was untied and called him over. August sat in front of you, putting his foot up and grabbing the laces. He tied them in the first knot and looked at you expectantly.

You kneeled down in front of him, gently saying, "Make the bunny ears... yep... Wrap them around... and pull. Good job, Auggie. You'll get it down in no time. I'll get you two cookies from the dinner line if you do."

Claude watched the two of you as he pulled on a cotton nightshirt. He watched your eyes light up as August stood up and cheered, hugging you as a thanks before returning to play with the ball. He shook his head, making a mental note of what to do once you left.

You eventually did leave soon after, running your hands through your hair as you prayed that Claude didn't corrupt the poor kid. You had realized your mistake soon after volunteering Claude to be your helper- he could easily turn the kid against you. And you couldn't leave him in anyone else's care, since you had specifically asked for Claude. If Seteth found out, August would definitely be taken from you.

You shouldn't be this stressed about a kid since you were only a teenager yourself, but August reminded you too much of your shy, quiet little brother back home. He was older than August, but you could see the similarities. You were just like his big sister, and Claude was his big brother. You didn't have to be parents. Just good influences. And providers. And teachers.

God, you really were parenting, weren't you?

You shook your head, walking into the girl's showers and stepping into one of the stalls. You let the warm water roll over you, soothing your aching muscles from today's training sessions. You were basically in heaven and you sure as hell didn't want to leave and talk to Claude anytime soon.