changed. | felix

"why don't you just talk to him about it?"

ingrids voice takes you out of your thoughts and you snap your eyes from the boy you were staring at to the girl in front of you.

"and what? get myself killed?" you sneer.

"no, and get some answers. felix seems like an ass but he's not to you, if you haven't noticed. im sure if you want to talk about something he'll give you the time."

"if you haven't noticed, hes still an ass to me. you've seen how he was before duscur, ingrid. i thought he'd actually be in love with me by the time we got married. but not now." you cast your eyes down to your plate, picking at it.

ingrid looked over at the boy to see that he was already looking in that direction. more specifically, he was looking at you.

"y/n, im telling you. go talk to him."

anxiety courses through your veins at the thought of just talking to him. "i-i can't. i cant, ingrid, he'll hate me. i have to go."

you stand up and walk out of the dining hall, door accidentally slamming behind you. ingrid looks over at felix, who is still looking where you sat. he makes eye contact with her and she jolts her head towards the door in a silent command.

felix understands and stands up, leaving the hall in a much more conspicuous manner.

you're sitting on the edge of the concrete surrounding the plants in the greenhouse. placing your hand on a little pansy, your heart starts to calm down.

that is, until the door opens.

felix walks and sits down beside you. after a few moments of silence, he manages to spit out an "are you okay?"

your lips press in a thin line. "i miss you."

felix's eyebrows furrowed. "i'm right here."

"no," you sigh, "little felix. before duscur. i miss when we could just play around and hang out and be happy for once. i miss my best friend. i miss having hope that you'd learn to love me before we got married so we both weren't completely miserable."

"people change, y/n." his voice seems to be sharper. "things happen."

"i wish they could unhappen."

"you wish what could unhappen? the tragedy of duscur? i wish that could unhappen too, a hell of a lot more than you. you're selfish for wanting life to change around your wants."

"felix, i didn't-"

"you didn't what? you didn't mean to imply that you don't like me now? that i'm not your friend? that i don't still love you?"

"what?-"

"the minute you stop living in the past is when you'll figure out that this future is better. now is the time you need to worry about. so take some time to yourself and think, what's really important? the past that you can't change, or the present that you can. and when you figure it out, come to me and change that."

with that, felix gets up and leaves the greenhouse. you wanted to chase after him- to hug and kiss him and tell him that he's right. but you can't.

you're rooted to the spot, eyes brimming with tears. felix had yelled at you. he'd never done that before. you had to have done something really wrong to make him that upset. but what?

your mind skimmed through the conversation. was it that you wanted his old personality back? no. he'd told you before that he wished he could be as carefree as he once was. that he's not your friend? he knows that's a lie, he'd force himself to be your friend on days when you didn't want to talk. that he doesn't love you?

oh.

you sprang up and ran out of the greenhouse, running towards the training grounds. you heard strenuous yells and grunts from inside, all recognizable as felix's. you stood at the side patiently waiting for him to finish, your heart pounding.

felix finally looked up and your breath caught. "what?"

"i'm sorry."

his eyebrow raised, "continue."

"i'm sorry for being,, well, selfish. for not thinking about how you felt and beating myself up by thinking about the past. you're right. i can't change it and it was stupid of me to think so."

felix sheathed his sword and walked towards you, standing closer than he'd ever stood before. "what else?"

"im sorry for thinking that you weren't my friend just because you had changed. im sorry that i couldn't see that this you is still you. that you're still my felix."

he hummed and raised his hand to twirl a loose piece of your hair around your ear. "your felix?" his hand fell to your cheek while the other dug its fingertips into your hip. "i think it's only fair that you're my y/n, as well."

"i'd like that. is this the change you were talking about?" you half-joked.

"what, turning my dreams into reality? of course."