7.

Chapter Seven: The Golden Compass

~~•~~

AS JOHN B left on his boat to get the scuba gear from Serena's rich family, The Cameron's the other four stayed behind. Serena laid on the hammock, thinking about the last time she saw her father.

She was ten years old at the time. Serena was outside with her father watching him scrape the wax off his surfboard. Little serena walked up to him and watched him. Her dad looked at his only daughter. He admired her sun kissed face and ocean blue eyes that complimented her bright, blonde hair.

"Hey, flower," He smiled at her, "Done helping your mom with the groceries?"

Serena's father gave her the nickname Flower because of her natural beauty and perfection. She was the perfect mixture of her two parents, blonde hair and blue eyes from her mom and dad. Serena has her mother's smile and her fathers personality, yet her kindness was like no other.

"Yeah," Little Serena said, "are you going surfing?"

"There's supposed to be some gnarly waves coming in," Her father said as he picked up the board.

"Can I come?" Serena got excited, "I want to work on my moves."

"Not today, Flower," he sighed, "these waves could be dangerous for you, i'll take you next time...I promise."

"Pinky promise?" she held out her pinky and he linked his with hers.

"Pinky promise," he chuckled and kissed the top of her head, "Tell mommy i'll be back before dark, I love you."

"I love you too," Serena said back and hugged her father before watching him get into his bronco and drive off.

Serena missed her father more than anything in the world. She knew her mother hated her surfing, but it's the only thing that made her feel close to her father.

"You okay?" Serena heard and her eyes focused on JJ.

Serena wiped the small tears from her face and sat up in the hammock, "Yeah, I'm good."

"Doesn't look like it," JJ said, "I know you're lying, i'm the only one who can tell."

Serena sighed and looked at the marsh, "I was just thinking about my dad...the last time I saw him, I remember waiting for him to get home so he can tell me all about the waves, but he never came back."

"I'm sorry, Rena," He said in a soft tone, "I can't imagine what it feels like."

"It's okay," she said, "When I surf, I feel like he's on the sand cheering me on...I just wish he could see who I am now."