21.

Chapter Twenty One: Midsummers

~~•~~

SERENA HATED RUNNING more than anything. She was that one girl who walked the whole mile in physical education, but when she had to run, she did. All Serena wanted was to go home.

When she got into her house, she saw her mother in the kitchen and suddenly broke down in tears. Katherine rushed to her daughter and wrapped her arms around her.

"Serena," Katherine said to her daughter who was having a panic attacks, "breath, sweetheart."

For years, Serena suffered a bad case of anxiety disorder. She's tried taking multiple of medications, but they didn't work much. Lately, her anxiety has gotten worse. She's kept this information from her friends, except for John B. He's witnessed many of her episodes. When Serena calmed down, she told her mom what happened at Hayward's store.

"I'm sure he's okay," Katherine said, "He was protecting Pope, he will be in some trouble but, everything is going to be fine."

Serena nodded, "I'm going to go to Kiara's for a little bit."

"Okay," Katherine smiled, "I'm proud of JJ, he's a good kid, even if his dad is a piece of shit."

Serena chuckled and hugged her mom before leaving her house. At Kiara's house, Serena forgot about the Midsummer's ball when she saw her friend in a beautiful purple dress with her hair and makeup done.

"I totally forgot," Serena sighed, "I'll just go back home."

"No!" Kiara said and grabbed her friends hand, "I promised you that you could be my guest... now get in here."

"I don't even have a dress, Kie," Serena said.

"You are probably my mom's size," Kiara chuckled as her mother walked up.

"Most definitely," Kiara's mom smiled, "Come on, I have the perfect dress for you."

~~•~~

Serena stood in front of the long mirror examining her image. The red dress made her feel like royalty. Her hair was perfectly curled and her makeup was beautifully done by Kiara's mom.

"You look stunning," Kiara's mom said, "That dress was made for you."

"I agree," Kiara chuckled, "Red is definitely your color."

"Thank you," Serena smiled.

"Okay, lets get going," Kiara's mom said in excitement, "I don't want to be late!"