8.

Chapter 8: The Hots

~~•~~

LATER THAT NIGHT Serena went home, but this time without JJ. He decided to go home for a few days but he told the girl if something happened he would go to her.

As Serena was getting ready for bed, her mother walked in with an unhappy face.

"I got a call from the sherif today," Katherine said as she folded her arms, "Why the hell were you in the marsh when you knew it was closed, Serena Grace?"

"We were just hanging out, mom," Serena explained, "We weren't hurting anything."

"That's not the point," Katherine snapped, "You broke rules."

"We apologized," Serena said.

"If you go back, you're grounded," Katherine said, "Understood?"

"Yes ma'am," Serena nodded and rolled her eyes when her mom left her room.

Serena laid on her side and looked out the open window. She admired the moonlight glistening on the marsh water. Serena kept the window open due to the electricity still out. She hated sleeping without conditioning, she always needed her room cold.

Her eyes finally began to grow heavy and then she fell asleep. But, then she heard a noise from outside her window. Serena's eyes shot open and she saw the figure of JJ.

She watched him climb through the window and then turned on the battery powered lantern on her nightstand. When Serena looked back at him, she was that his lip was busted.

"What happened?" Serena said and got up from her bed to examine his face. There were tears streaming down his cheeks.

"I just wanted to sleep," He said as his voice cracked, "He woke up and started yelling at me...and then he hit me."

Serena wrapped her arms around his neck and let him cry on her shoulder. Her heart ached for him, she hated to see him in so much pain caused from his own father. Serena was disgusted and wanted to give his father a piece of her mind.

"I just want to know why," JJ sobbed, "Why does he have to do this to me?"

Serena places her hands on the sides of his face and looked at him in the eyes, "Because he's unhappy with himself, JJ, he wants to bring you down with him."

"I hate him, I want to kill him," JJ said with pure anger.

"He's not worth it," Serena said in a calm tone, "I know he's put you through so much pain, but i'm here for you until the end of our days and I promise you that, I will get you out of there if it's the last thing I do, because I can't stand seeing the person I love go through this."