22.

Twenty Two: A Spitting Cobra

~~•~~

AT ONE OF the crew's favorite places to go; Rixon's Cove. Serena sat on a log and watched JJ put more sticks in the fire.

"Hey, guys," Pope said, "So, like, my dad's already gonna kill me, so what's this mandatory meeting about?"

John B looked at JJ as he sat between Serena and Pope.

"Might as well tell him, man," JJ said, "Before we get gaffed."

"You ready for this?" John B asked and looked at his friends.

"Yeah," Kiara said and John B looked at Serena.

"JJ kinda already told me," Serena said, "but, yeah, i'm ready."

"So," John B said, "The gold never went down with the royal merchant."

"Oh, my God," Pope groaned, "Here we go again with this."

"Let him talk," Serena fussed, "Hear him out."

John B put his index finger on his lips, "It's been here the whole time, it's on the island."

"Are you serious?" Kiara asked, "Oh, my God."

"I'd like to voice my skepticism," Pope said.

"I'm sure you would, Pope," John B said as he stood up, "But can I please present you with my evidence, sir?"

"Proceed," Pope sighed.

"All right, so," John B said and reached in his bag and pulled out a paper, "in my bag, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell is that?" Kiara asked.

John B continued to explain, "Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck...check this out," he said and handed Kiara the note.

"Okay," John B said, "Slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest...that was his big discovery, so Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom."

Kiara whistled to get Serena's attention and handed her the letter. Serena read the letter as John B continued.

"After that, his bought his farm," John B said, "Drumroll, please, because that farm is...Tannyhill Plantation."