18.

Chapter Eighteen: Deny, Deny, Deny

~~•~~

SERENA ALWAYS THOUGHT life was short, so take chances, live life to the fullest and do risky shit that might end up with you staying the night in a jail cell, but she would rather end her days with a bang.

Searching for the Merchant was risky, but she felt like it was definitely worth it. Then she got worried when they still haven't seen the gold in the boat.

"It's not there," John B sighed, "Look, just-just pull the drone up...shit."

"We can do another pass," Pope said, "Recharge the battery, we can-we can go back down."

"We need to keep looking, bubba," Serena said.

John B ran his hands through his hair as he felt frustrated. He felt a wave of anger and confusion, he didn't understand. Where is the damn gold?

"We've some it three times," JJ said as he was still steering the boat, "There's nothing there."

"Shut up!" Kiara yelled at JJ.

Serena began to feel agitated, she was just as confused as John B. She felt like they were back to square one, but had no lead.

"What?" JJ said, "It's true!"

"The gold could be buried," Kiara said, "We don't know!"

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?," John B remarked, "Somebody beat us to it."

Serena stood next to JJ and sat down, "Or it was never there," JJ muttered.

~~•~~

As John B had an unexpected visitor with a social worker and made a run for it when he got the chance, Serena and JJ went to her house.

"Mom!" Serena shouted when they walked into the house, "Guess she's not here."

Serena went into her room and laid on her bed. She felt like she could sleep for days. Serena doesn't remember the last time she got a good nights sleep. Serena felt JJ lay on her back and she let out a chuckle.

"I can't breathe," she said and turned over.

JJ gasped, "Are you calling me fat?"

"Maybe," Serena smiled.

JJ lifted his shirt and revealed his abs, "I beg to differ."