20.

Chapter Twenty: Taking The Blame

~~•~~

THE SUN APPROACHED the next morning. Serena's eyes slowly opened and she turned her head to see JJ sound asleep. She couldn't help but smile. She thought he looked so cute when he was asleep, even with the busted lip and the small bruise on his face

Serena glided her index finger down his nose gently and giggled when his nose twitched a little. She did it again and his eyes shot open and looked at her before smiling brightly.

"Good morning," JJ said in a sleepy tone that just made Serena melt.

"Morning," she said and propped her head on his chest, "How did you sleep?"

JJ sighed and wrapped his arms around her, "Amazing."

"Good," Serena said, "Do you know what the plans are today?"

"I told Pope I would help him at his dad's store," JJ said as he rubbed his eyes, "Wanna come with me? I think Kie is gonna be there."

"Sure," Serena said and sat up, "Let's get something to eat."

When she was going to get up, JJ wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her down. He laid his head on her stomach making himself comfortable again.

"Let's just stay like this for a little bit," JJ said and hovered over her face, "Pope can wait."

"Only if we could stay like this forever," Serena frowned, "That would be great."

"I know," He sighed and kissed her gently.

The two stayed like that for a little while until JJ decided he was hungry. After they got some food in their stomachs, Serena told her mom she would be back later and then left her house.

As they walked to Hayward's store, Serena began to grow slower by the step. JJ put his hands on his hips and looked back at Serena who was a good distance away.

"Serena," he laughed, "Come on!"

"My feet hurt," Serena said, "We usually take John B's van...I don't like exercising, or anything to where I have to move physically."

"It's not even that far," JJ sighed and walked towards her, "get on my back."

"Don't have to tell me twice," she smiled and hopped on his back, "Giddy up!"

"I will drop you on your ass," JJ chuckled and continued walking to Hayward's store.

~~•~~

"Don't let it get in your head," JJ said to Pope, "Three of them two of us, that's typical Kook shit right there."

Serena nodded as she gave the customer his fish, "Have a nice day," she smiled and turned to JJ who was sitting on the counter top, "I'm sure it would have gotten worse if it wasn't for Kie."

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ asked.

Pope shrugged, "I don't know man, I just kind of acted off instinct...I was a cornered animal."

The four laughed until Hayward called for his son, "Hey, Pope, someone here to see you."

The four looked towards Hayward and saw Deputy Shoupe. He walked up towards the friends and Serena began to worry.

"Evening, Officer," Pope said nervously.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property," Shoupe said, "Hands where i can see 'em."

Pope looked at JJ with feat written all over his face, "Young lady," Shoupe said to Serena, "Out of my way."

Kiara grabbed Serena's hand and watched at Shoupe began to arrest Pope.

"Woah," Hayward said, "What'd he do?"

"Look at the warrant," Shoupe said.

Everyone began freaking out. Pope always was scared to jeopardize his scholarship, this will ruin his life.

"anything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law," Shoupe said as he cuffed Pope, "You have the right to an attorney."

"How much did they pay you, man?!" JJ said and Serena grabbed his hand as they watched their best friend get arrested and brought outside the store.

JJ got a little too close to the officer and Shoupe pushed him away. Serena held onto JJ to make sure he wouldn't do anything stupid. Serena felt her eyes water up as Pope got closer to Shoupe's truck.

"It wasn't him!" JJ shouted, "it was me."

"no," Serena whispered and JJ looked into her watery, blue eyes, "JJ..."

"It's okay," He whispered back and looked at the deputy, "He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up...I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit," JJ looked at Pope, "I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did, you've got too much to loose."

"JJ," Pope said, "What are you doing?"

"I'm telling the truth," JJ said, "For once in my goddamn life, i'm gonna tell the truth...I took his old man's boat, too."

"JJ, come on," Pope said.

"Just shut up, Pope!" JJ yelled, "Just shut up...He's a good kid, you know where i'm from."

"Yeah," Shoupe said.

"This was all me," JJ added.

"That's the whole truth?" The deputy asked.

"Whole truth," JJ said, "Swear to God."

"I know what you think, damn it!" Shoupe snapped, "I'm asking Pope."

Pope and JJ looked at each other for a moment before Pope spoke up, "Yeah, that about covers it."

Serena felt her heart break as Shoupe took the handcuffs off Pope and began to cuff JJ. Serena watched JJ get placed in the truck, he kept his eyes on her until Shoupe closed the door and drove off. JJ didn't care that he got in trouble, he was just protecting his best friend and that is all that mattered to him.