10.

Chapter Ten: The Chicken Whisperer

~~•~~

SERENA REMEMBERS THE last time she spoke to John B's father. She had a close relationship with him because he was her only father figure. The two friends met because of their father's since they were best friends since high school. They practically became best friends when they were just in diapers.

John B's father always wanted them two to be more than friends, but it was impossible. They loved each other like siblings, and have been like that for years. John B's dad continued to tell stories to Serena about the Royal Merchant that held so much Gold that you wouldn't possibly believe.

As Serena looked at the pictures of the Royal merchant in the office, John B placed a large pin board on the crowded table in the middle of the room, "This is the original owner, right here," John B said and pointed to the little picture.

"Okay," Serena sighed, "Robert Q. Routledge, I remember your dad telling me about him, born in 1880 and died in 1920."

"We got a smarty pants, people," JJ teased and Serena ignored his banter.

"There's the lucky compass," Kiara said and pointed to the compass in the picture, "Right there."

"Actually, um..." John B sighed, "He was shot after he bought it, then the compass was shipped back to Henry," John B pointed at the picture below the original owner, "He was killed in a crop-dusting accident when he had the compass."

"These owners have some bad luck with this compass," Serena added.

"After he died, the compass was given to Stephen," John B continued, "Stephen had the compass with him when he died in Vietnam."

"Let me guess, he died in action, right?" JJ asked.

"Eh, sort of," Serena said and John B nodded, "He was killed by a banana trunk, in country."

"Anyways," John B said, "after that, Stephen passed the compass down to him...my dad."

"Hm," JJ said, "Sounds like there's a reoccurring theme here."

"Yeah, you have a death compass," Pope said.

"I do not," John B shook his head as Pope repeated about a death compass.

"Get rid of it," JJ told his friend.

"Do you guys not understand that this compass was passed down, he can't just get rid of it," Serena fussed, "We just need to make sure that John B doesn't get into a freaky accident."