13.

Chapter Thirteen: That Damn Gold

~~•~~

THE FOUR TEENS were eager to find out what Kiara had found in the crypt. Serena looked through the hole and watched Kiara pick up a large white envelope and handed it to John B.

When he took his arm out of the hole, the other three teens looked at it and Pope said, "That's not gold," He sighed.

Serena and JJ helped Kiara out of the hole she barely fit in, "See any more snakes?" JJ asked.

"No," Kiara said, "I think you scared them all away with your ridiculous bark."

Serena laughed along with Kiara and then put their attention back on John B, who held out the envelope. He looked shocked while he stared at the envelope. On the envelope, written in black marker it said, "For Bird".

"Holy shit," He said and looked at his friends, "This is from my dad."

Serena smiled when she saw that John B felt relived that he was right. His Dad was trying to tell him something, but that was only the beginning of their quest.

"Code red, code red," JJ said as he blew out a cloud of smoke from his cigarette, "Square groupers! Square groupers!"

Serena saw the bright headlights approach. JJ grabbed her hand and the five friends hid behind the crypt.

"It's the guys who robbed your house," JJ said.

"Turn off the lights," Serena said as she turned her small flashlight off.

She then grabbed JJ's headlight off his head and turned it off while he put out his cigarette. Serena could feel her heartbeat in her throat, these guys would kill them if they had the chance.

JJ peeked a little to see what was going on, "Do you think it's them?" Kiara asked.

"Homie'a got a gun," JJ responded as men started shouting.

"Screw this," Kiara said and started running.

JJ grabbed Serena's hand and helped her from the ground before they all started running as fast as they could.

"Right here!" they heard a man say as the five climbed over the entrance gate.

Pope then got his pants caught on the gate and then men in their golf cart got closer. Kiara and John B went to help Pope as JJ pulled out his gun from his shorts. He cocked it back and raised it up.

"Pope don't move okay?" JJ said and John B then pushed his arm down.

"Wait, you're gonna rip me!" Pope said to Kiara.

"You're fine, come on!" Kiara fussed as she pulled his shirt and his shorts completely ripped off, leaving him in his boxers. Serena let out a small laugh, she couldn't help it.

"Come on!" John B yelled.

"It's little," JJ picked at Pope, "It's a little Tootsie Roll."

"Come on," Serena laughed and pushed JJ towards the van.

They all got in and Serena shut the door behind her and John B drove off.

~~•~~

When they arrived to John B's house, they gathered around the kitchen table and watched as John B began to open the white envelope.

John B took out a folded piece of paper, he unfolded it and flattened it out on the table. It was a map of the outer banks and the Atlantic ocean.

"Holy shit," John B said.

"Oh," Pope said and pointed to an X written on the map, "X marks the spot."

John B began tracing his fingers along the map, "Longitude, latitude...wait there's somethin' else in there," He said and pulled out a tape recorder out of the envelope.

"What's that?" JJ asked.

"It's a tape recorder, dumbass," Kiara scoffed.

John B turned the tape recorder and his dad started speaking, "Dear Bird."

"Who's Bird?" JJ asked.

"That's what my dad called me," John B said.

" I hate to say, "I told you so," but I told you so. And doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either."

The five friends looked at each other in shock before continuing to listen to the recording.

" You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly Father of the Decade. What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, we're listenin' to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for...there she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If somethin' happens to me, finish what I started. Gold for the gold, kid. I love you Bird, even if I didn't always act like it...I'll see you on the other side and tell Rena I love her."

The recording ended, and Serena felt the tears fall down her cheeks. That man was like a father to her...he treated her like she was his own. When her dad died, Big John took her under his wing and swore to protect her. John B stood up from the chair and leaned against the wall with his back facing everyone and began to cry.

"Holy, shit," JJ said, "He did it...Big John he found the merchant."

"Can you...can you please?" Kiara said to JJ.

"Sorry," JJ said.

Serena heard the sobs coming from John B, it made her heart hurt more to see him so broken. She placed her hand on his shoulder, he looked up to see her and she saw the tears on his face and completely broke down. John B wrapped his arms around her and rested his head on her shoulder, sobbing even more.

Serena felt her heart break even more, she knew what he was feeling and she hated to see him go through this pain, but she promised herself that she would be here for him no matter what.

"We are going to finish this for him," Serena whispered, "We are gonna get that damn gold."