Chapter 5- Playing My Own Side

Jessica's P.O.V.

After the events of the previous day, I'm more confused than ever. It was easy to hate Nik when he cheated on me, when I could pretend that he didn't love me, but when he touched me yesterday I saw the flashes in his mind. I saw his plan to hurt Tim to get Davina on his side yet he stopped, for me. Meanwhile, classes start today, although I don't have any yet because they are still deliberating on whether or not I should be a T.A. to earn credits. My phone rings so I answer it to hear Jeremy's voice. He tells me that Matt said that he woke up and found some antique dagger in his pocket. I tell him to send me a picture of it and he obeys.

I look at it and feel a grin on my face wondering how stupid the travelers are. "That's it, the knife I was telling you about. If you stab Matt, it will send the traveler back to his body and Matt will be free. Have Damon do it though, just in case he accidentally dies." Jeremy agrees and hangs up. When I look at my phone, I see a text that must've come in while I was on the phone from Caroline. Carebear❤💋- Study Date with Jesse during remembrance day. Wish me luck! Miss you! I smile at the message and send her a good luck miss you text as my phone chimes with a different message.

Marcel- Moving D out of the attic. Need to distract Klaus. Meet me @ Big Auggie's bar, please. For Davina. I sigh and roll my eyes at his tactics but know that Davina deserves to leave that God awful attic and Kieran is probably making him move her. Not to mention that even if Klaus didn't hurt Davina, he would draw attention that the elders might sense. I get up and get dressed in some flattering clothes.

When I arrive at the bar I immediately see Marcel and Klaus drinking. "Okay, okay. I'll ask the harmless questions, then. How did you meet her?" Klaus asks and I can sense that he's talking about Davina so I walk up taking a seat on his other side.

"Believe it or not, it was Sophie Deveroux," I reveal, causing Klaus's attention to snap to me while I order a bourbon on the rocks.

"Jessica, what are you doing here? I didn't realize this was your scene," he taunts and I smile, missing this side of him.

"Well, you didn't see him card me, did you?" He laughs as I sip my drink and begin my story. "Sophie wasn't big on magic, she preferred parties and nobody parties harder than Marcel and his vamps, except maybe me. Anyhow, Sophie's niece, Monique, aka Davina's best friend, was chosen for the harvest along with D. Sophie tried to convince Jane-Anne not to do it but she said it was necessary."

"Was it?" He asks curiously as Marcel scrutinizes Klaus, who is giving me his full attention.

"To keep the power of their ancestors yes but see, they have it wrong. They think they'll lose their magic if the harvest isn't completed but they'll simply lose their connection to the ancestors, which they can do without."

"So what happened?"

"Sophie was screwing Marcel but he was already causing trouble with the witches so she went to Father Kieran instead."

"Your priest friend," he clarifies and I smile.

"Yes, anyway, Father K brought the two witch elders, Bastiana and Agnes, in to tell them that they had to find another way to keep their connection besides sacrificing 4 unsuspecting girls. The witches refused and to punish him, they hexed his nephew," I mutter bitterly, downing the rest of my drink while Klaus looks at me sympathetically and I can sense the shock coming off Marcel at the look.

"Sean," he states. "I'm sorry, he didn't deserve to die for trying to do the right thing. I know how much you cared for him, how much you still do," he says, motioning to my cross that I unconsciously clasp in my hand.