Chapter 14- The Devil Inside

3rd Person P.O.V.

After Klaus received the notification of Katherine's close demise, he headed to Mystic Falls for the day to revel in her misery, only to find Caroline, who was looking for Matt. While Rebekah saved the former quarterback, Caroline took her time laying into Klaus about killing her best friend. They both felt guilty for it. Klaus for letting his anger get the best of him and killing her and Caroline, who felt that if she had been there for Jessica, she might have convinced her to turn. Both consumed with guilt and missing the person they love most in the world, they did what anyone in their position would do and decided that scandalous hate sex was the best way to go.

Now both are feeling the guilt for what they had done to Jessica's memory, the best friend and the boyfriend, what a cliche. Whilst Caroline chose to throw herself into cleaning her already immaculate dorm room, Klaus decided to jump into bed with Genevieve to not only hide the pain but to convince her to do a spell that would require a very powerful witch, a spell he knew Vivianne and Meredith wouldn't do. Not to mention that the longer Genevieve occupies his bed, the more Meredith hates Klaus, which is beginning to affect Elijah and Klaus' relationship.

Back in Mystic Fall, Katherine, who had taken over Elena and had plans for making the change permanent now that Jessica was dead and couldn't stop her, was plotting with her daughter to ensure that Katherine stayed in charge until the spell was done. Meanwhile, Matt decided to cheer Tyler up by throwing a party in the mansion, and Tyler decides that he's going to win Caroline back. Elijah has similar plans in New Orleans and decides to throw a party with the help of Meredith, aka Jessica talking through her, to further unite the factions.

"You know, you could try and help keep the peace instead of playing full-time asshole, right?" Vivianne asks Klaus from her spot on the balcony where she was watching the decorating being done when she felt his presence behind her.

"Well, love, I am an asshole as you so elegantly put it," he jokes, angrily.

Vivianne chuckles mirthlessly. "Right, I suppose that's why you killed your girlfriend, aka my best friend, you constantly let you baby momma sit in the bayou with no clue if she is safe or not since you never check-in, and then had the nerve to go sleep with Caroline in Mystic Falls."

Klaus looks at her shocked. "How did-"

"I might not be a wolf anymore, Klaus, but I can see auras and yours was soaking in guilt, more so than usual, when you arrived so I called to check in and Caroline told me everything. Don't worry, Jessica's helping with party planning so she might not know yet, but I'll be sure to tell her when I find a way to bring her back since you aren't planning to do anything," she snarls. "I'll be in the bayou if you need me."

"Right, with your new werewolf suitor. Oliver is it?"

"Oh, don't tell me your jealous, Nikki," she mimics Jessica's nickname for him and watches him squirm before rolling her eyes. "I'm just trying to get away from you. I'd rather hang out with Marcel than be around you." With that, she leaves, going to the bayou to use checking on Hayley as an excuse to see Oliver.

_______

That night, Caroline shows up at Matt's party ready to get drunk. She had spilled everything to Vivianne hoping for some comfort, but all she got was Viv telling her that she liked Caroline more than Jess' other friends but she wasn't going to tell Jessica what happened so she was on her own and Caroline felt like the guilt was killing her. Which is why when she saw Elena in the crowd, she approached her immediately, ready to spill everything.

"There you are! I've been calling and texting," Caroline says, nervous about her reaction. Jessica was her sister after all. They were as close as twins. Jessica had a connection to Elena just as strong as her connection to Meredith. What if Elena hated her for her betrayal of Jessica?