Chapter 20- I'll Remember/Rebirth

3rd Person P.O.V.

After purgatory collapsed and the Mikaelsons were forced to send Hope away, things changed for everyone. Caroline, Elena, and Alaric packed up and headed to New Orleans, hoping to find a way to save Jessica, Damon, and Bonnie, while Stefan packed up and decided to find another life.

Mystic Falls is quiet now that magic isn't allowed and Caroline and Liz take turns visiting the other, although when Caroline visits, they have to meet in Whittmore. Alaric got a job as the occult professor at U.N.O. It turned out to be a lot easier since Meredith let them into Jessica's bedroom, that Vivianne had taken to staying in, where Jessica had all her journals about what she knew about the supernatural world, which was a lot.

After three months of trying to find a way to bring her best friend back, Caroline walked into a bar one day, outside the city since Vampires weren't allowed in the Quarter, to hear a couple of vampires toasting to Jessica, saying that she could change the vampires' position if she were alive. "I wouldn't say that. I'm not sure what you did to the wolves but it must've been bad for a reaction like this and Jessica always played fair," she comments after downing her bourbon.

"And how would you know anything about Jessica? I've never seen you around before and you don't seem like her type of friend," Marcel snarls, not wanting someone to dishonor Jessica's memory.

"I've been Jessica's friend since we were 3 and met in preschool so who the hell are you, and why do think that you know anything about her?" Caroline counters, ready to kill the vampire who is obviously older than her. Marcel studies her for a second before it clicks and he grins.

"You're Caroline. Marcel," he introduces before continuing. "Jessica always had a story to tell about you. I don't think she ever cared about anyone the way she did for you, not even her siblings," he reveals, paying for her drink and ordering her another one.

"Yeah, she mentioned you once or twice. Mostly called you her 'friend in New Orleans' because she said you didn't want Klaus to know you were alive. Clearly that worked well for you," she taunts, accepting his drink.

"I see why Jessica liked you. You two are very similar. Listen, I know you're a vampire and I'm sure that you want to see the Quarter, it was always Jess' favorite part of the city and she used to say how she wished she could show it to you, Elena, Jeremy, and Bonnie. I want to reclaim it, but I need some more vampires. Now I have Josh here," he motions to Josh, who holds a hand up in a wave, before speaking again. "And he's good at getting people but I want people that will make good vampires. I don't turn against their will, I just want to make sure that they deserve it. Jessica said you're one of the best vampires she knows, I think you'd be good at helping with control."

Caroline nods, liking the idea and remembering what Jessica had said about Marcel knowing a powerful witch. She agrees, hoping that he can help with their plan, when Enzo arrives only to be recruited too. Enzo likes Caroline and his company is growing on her but they both know they have a common goal, getting Jessica and Damon back, that's all.

Hayley is not handling her transition well, much to Elijah's dismay, and Klaus refuses to help. He hasn't told anyone but Elijah, who he forbade to tell Meredith, that he remembers Jessica so he is being forced to mourn both Jessica and his child with his only comfort being that Jessica forgave him. He has been tearing through his mother's grimoire in the hopes of finding a spell to get her back but has come up with nothing. The wolves that believe that they control the Quarter don't help. The newest Harvest girl has been making more rings but Klaus is too caught up in his problems to stop it.

Meredith, who had been added to the list of people that know about Jessica, has been helping her stay under the radar and can feel the strain in her relationship with Elijah, although she knows it has to do with Hayley's current state and is beginning to worry that Elijah might have feelings for the new hybrid.