Chapter 12- Transitions and Choices

Jessica's P.O.V.

I was out for a whole day before I woke up transitioning with Klaus' blood in my veins. I find Vivianne immediately who fills me in on two things. The first is that an evil warlock named Papa Tunde had shown up and used Rebekah as a source of power only to be killed, resulting in Monique Deveroux rising from the grave. The second was that Father Kieran was reopening the church. She asks how I am and I lie, saying that I'm fine, before leaving to get ready for the church reopening. I need to be there for Father Kieran and Sean. I ignore the voices screaming in my head telling me that I messed up my plan and that it was stupid to begin with, but with transition comes heightened emotions and the anger I felt before I died is stronger.

I wear a church appropriate outfit and make it to the church a few minutes before the service. I can sense Marcel and Klaus but I ignore the pair and focus on Father K. I try and hold it together but my emotions aren't on my side so as he speaks about the tragedy that took place, my powers seep the memories into my mind and I see the pain he suffered through and it feels like I can't breathe so I stand up and rush out of the church, feeling four pairs of eyes watching me closely as I walk outside, enjoying the sun as a mostly human for the last time.

I've caught my breath by the time the service ends and I stand by a tree, watching the people file out. Father Kieran seeks me out and looks at me in worry. "Are you alright?" He asks in concern and I smile at him sadly.

"Can I do a confession out here?" He nods confused and I take a deep breath. "Bless me, father, for I have sinned. I'm in transition of becoming a vampire and I've decided that despite my friends and family, I'm not going to complete it." He gasps in shock and he isn't the only one. I look up to see Klaus and Marcel.

"You're in transition? How?" Marcel questions and Klaus looks down in guilt while I glare at him.

"Your new bestie forced his blood down my throat and snapped my neck," I respond. "It took a day for me to wake up in transition but I heard you and Klaus had a run-in with Papa Tunde so I'm surprised he didn't tell you," I mock as Camille approaches us.

"I wanted to congratulate you on getting the church up running. I can see this is a bad time. Nice to see you, Marcel, Jessica," she greets being sure to ignore Klaus and I snort.

"Wow, you try and turn your girlfriend and do whatever you did to her, you sure are on a roll Nikki," I spit and begin to walk away as Cami looks at me in shock but Klaus grabs my arm.

"Please tell me you were joking about not transitioning," he insists and I give him an evil smile.

"Of course not. Have fun feeling the guilt of knowing that I'm dead and it's your fault. Honestly Nik, what did you think would happen? That I would wake up with heightened emotions and decide that I had so much to live for? You forget, I only have like 5 emotions and the most present one is anger so congrats on killing off the only person that's dedicated her time to preventing the death of your child and good luck doing it on your own beginning tomorrow," I spit as I look at my phone seeing that it is Thursday and time for one of my classes to start. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to spend my last day pretending that I'm not at death's door."

I walk away from them and get into my car driving to campus and going to my classes for the day. By 4 o'clock, I'm feeling the hunger begging me to give in but I ignore it as I see Eric waiting in front of my dorm. "Hey, so you were right, your friend Klaus did kill my father so I've been having the time of my life and realized that I've been slacking on our friendship," he laughs and I frown.

"Well, you won't have to worry about that much longer."

"What do you mean?"

I sigh and turn away from my door to face him. "I'm dying. Klaus turned me and I refuse to complete the transition and spend eternity sired to him because shutting my emotions off would be too risky," I confess as I feel a little dizzy before collapsing. I feel Eric's arms stop me from falling before everything goes black.