17. Debut showcase Pt. 2

The introduction to BTS's DNA has started. Finally, it's time for the deadly medley.

Haha, I still remember when I told Soobin that I call it 'the deadly medley', he nearly spat out the water in his mouth. 'I'm so done with your goofy humour,' he says, even though his eyes are curved into the prettiest moon-shapes together with his puppy-like smile.

The audience begins to cheer and clap again. Even though I am terribly afraid of heights, the adrenaline rush diverts my attention away from the ascended stage.

Pdogg P.D. nim tried his best to avoid Namjoon, Yoongi and Hoseok Sunbaenims' rap verses because he knew my korean language skills weren't too advance yet but there are still some I have to do. I really hope I don't stutter when I'm doing them because I've already practiced them so many times.

'DNA...'

I still don't get why pointing at your forearm symbolises your genetic makeup but I don't have time to dwell on it because 'Idol' follows right behind.

Danny, bless him, arranged for the dancers to do the acrobatic jump at the chorus of Idol. I honestly wouldn't be able to do them at this stage. Maybe a few more years of practice will get me jumping as high as the professionals.

'You can't stop me loving myself!'

The audience is chanting the 'oh oh ooh' parts of the chorus in unison. I have never seen or heard such loud chanting ever! It truly is an honour to be here!

The fan chant never died a second during the medley. They went from 'jjeoreo!' for 'Dope' to 'oh my my my' for 'Boy with love', to 'we are bulletproof!'. Even though I'm told that being a solo artist can be lonely but I don't feel a second that I'm alone on stage.

'Bulletproof!' As soon as I sang these iconic words, the heavy, metallic introduction of 'Fire' follows.

And it's time for the one and only...

3,

3,

3.

'Let's go!'

My arms, legs and neck are starting to burn from the intensity of the whole medley but they're also at its peak flexibility as the previous songs have warmed them up. Although the combat boots are quite heavy, they provide stability for my feet after moving so rapidly from the footwork. The dancers and I are now free styling the rest of the song as rehearsed, constantly shaking are heads and arms vigorously.

'Not today' comes next and I try my best not to look at the human train the dancers form at the pre-chorus. I'll have plenty of opportunities to watch the video that I told Freddie to take, now I've got a show going on.

'Chong! jojun! balsa!' BANG!

As the lights are turned off at the gunshot sound effect. The audience starts cheering for the performance. I'm sure TXT is there, too. Here. We. Go.

'SEOUL, SOLI JILLEO!' I chuck the beautiful bomber jacket at the staff waiting backstage and immediately turn around to look at the crowd. If the staff doesn't catch the jacket Freddie's gonna give me so much shit for making it dirty. Oh well.

The chants come back up louder than ever as the surprise encore comes up.

It's TXT's Run Away!

To avoid chaos erupting, I've asked the cameramen not to show them on screen when this song comes up but I'm sure Freddie already has his phone shoved right in their faces to record this glorious moment.

I've never told them that I was doing their song as well.

'Run away, run away with me!'

'Forever together!'

When I first heard the song I instantly fell in love with it. The drumbeats are exciting and helps pushes the flow of the song. The choreography is neat but expressive. It's got youthful lyrics but requires sophisticated techniques. I just hope this song was mine!

'Please show some more appreciation for Shannon!' The MC comes back onstage when the deadly medley comes to a beautiful end.

Not gonna lie, my lungs are hurting from performing over 9 minutes with intense choreography. I find a box of tissue right behind the stool that's been set up quickly by the staff so that I can wipe some of the sweat off my face. I will never stop being amazed by how efficiently they work.

'Let's have another chat with the fans, shall we, Shannon-ssi?' The MC says charmingly.

'Of course!' I smile as I take a seat beside him.

'The fans are all very curious, what are the fondest memories during your trainee days?'

Ummm, eating only 500 calories a day?

Being shouted at when you haven't stretched your stiff ass legs in literally your entire life?

Oh, I know, have your ex-manager pull your hair and accuse you for something you never did?

Ok, enough with the sarcasm.

'I'm really glad that I got to become closer friends with the BTS and TXT Sunbaenims. They have taught me so many things,' I say. 'I also loved the moment when I could finally do that acrobatic jump at the dance break for "Ticket". I've been practicing that for months! Luckily, the work paid off and I was able to do it for you guys on this very stage, so I'm very glad!'

'Did you all love Shannon's performance?' The MC asks the audience who reply with more passionate cheers for me.

There's about 2500 people in the concert. I know it's miniature comparing to what BTS and TXT are used to performing to, but I am so happy to have all of them support me. Before today, I have been doubting if I made the right choice to come all the way to Korea and pursue a career that I have never considered before. Will I be able to handle learning all the choreography? Will anybody like my music and me? Will I be a complete failure?

Clearly all my concerns were bullshit, look at the crowd who came to cheer for you even though they had no idea who you were!

The audience suddenly becomes completely silent.

I can see some people in the front row staring at something behind me with such wonder in their eyes.

I turn around to see what's so spectacular to see myself on both big screens. What was so magical? I look towards backstage to see Freddie signalling for me to carry on. I must have been spacing out for quite long.

I turn back to face the audience and give them the brightest smile. 'Sorry guys, you are all STUNNING!'

'I want to thank you all for coming to this debut showcase,' I give them a 90 degree bow. 'You have made my dreams come true and I can never stand on this stage without you. From now on, let's go on this wonderful journey together!'

'As some of you might know, there's another showcase here tomorrow and I'll also be having my debut stage at M! Countdown two days later. One of the reasons why we chose the show two days later is so that you guys,' gesturing my fans, 'will have some time to consider coming to see me!'

An eruption of laughter and clapping starts.

'Oh by the way! Soobin Sunbaenim from TXT taught me this!' I do a finger heart because he said this will literally drive the fans nuts. From the audience loud reactions, I can finally prove that he was right.

'Anyways, thank you so much for spending the evening with me. The last song I'm singing today is called "Young and Free", I'm Shannon, it's an honour to be here tonight!'