Chapter 16: Its your baby

"Mr. Lightwood-Bane Sir...a lady is desperately wanting to see you. " said Underhill standing near the door of the Inquisitor's office.

" A lady ....hmm...what does she want ? " asked Alec thoughtfully ..not rising his head from the paperwork which he was having at hand.

"I don't know exactly Sir ... should I send her in ? " asked Unherhill.

"Yes...send her " said Alec still looking deeply at the papers in front.

"May I come in Mr.Inquisitor. " said the Lady .

" Yes ...please come." said Alec.

The lady stomped inside the office.

Alec still did not look at the Lady .
Without looking Alec gestured the lady to take a seat on the other side of the table. There was the sound of moving chair and the lady perched herself comfortably on the chair.

"What can I do for you ,Madame?" asked Alec still engrossed in his paperwork.

" Compensate for your mistake " said the lady's voice.

Alec shot his head up . He could smell something serious and something thick growing in the lady's voice.

Alec looked questioningly at the lady .

"Mistake...what mistake" asked Alec.

" A mistake that came with its own consequences ..." said the lady .

" Madame ..I am really busy ...it would be a great favour if you cared to elaborate your words a little quickly. " said Alec clearly losing his patience.

"A mistake which you did ...three years back " said the lady .

Alec was now staring at the lady.

The lady took a long deep breath and said " Three years back ,you went to a bar..you got very drunk ,I used to work in that bar . It was my work to keep my clients hooked. When I approached you ,you started flirting with me , in fact I triggered you ...but that was my work ...things got heated between us and...and we ended up in bed . A month later I came to know that I was pregnant . I tried to find you but I could not ...as it was just one night stand and I did not have any of your details.

Nine months later amidst much difficulty I gave birth to a baby boy . The boy is now three years old ...he looks exactly like you .

Its your boy ,sir. He is your baby. "

There was a long pause after the lady finished her story.

Alec kept his pen on the table.

"Well...I am not a drinker first of all . Secondly I am a gay. Even if I went to bars and got drunk then also I would end up with a guy in bed. Because ,our sexualities do not change with the measure of how drunk we are. You made a nice story...but I do not believe you." said Alec taking the pen up in his hand.

" You were really drunk ,sir ...that day ...you were not on your sober mind. Because of your drunken mistake ,today ...I am standing at the receiving end . " said the lady now crying.

Alec looked at the Lady . Then Alec thought what if the the lady was saying the truth,what if the boy was his. The boy ,he was innocent and he could not punish an innocent child for his own mistake.

Alec looked at the lady and said " Okay ...I would adopt the boy. I don't know whether he was my son or not . Yet ,since you could not raise the child of your own...I would like to adopt the child with my husband."

" No..no...I ..I don't want to part with my only boy . I want him with me." said the lady hysterically .

Alec was now a little confused and said " Then what you really want ?"