The Trial By Tales

Sophie, Beatrix and Tedros shivered with nervousness as they waited at their spots that they will soon run through and search for their battling enemy. Agatha was at the other side, clasping hands with Hester and Anadil who were smirking.  

"Charge!" Yuba yelled and the doors ,made of hedges opened and the contestants sprinted in. The Trial By Tales had begun.

Agatha pretended to search for Tedros while Sophie searched for Beatrix, so they could get Anadil together. But she didn't realize that Hester had found her already with the demon. 

"Sophie!" Hester hissed exactly like Beatrix. Sophie's face lit up and turned...to find Hester sneering at her, her finger lit a shade of red. She gasped with surprise.

"You f-found me already?" 

"Thanks to my demon." Hester smirked and raised her glowing finger. Sophie attempted to make her finger glow but failed as she was shaking too much and couldn't feel any emotion. She shrunk back and gazed at Hester, pleadingly. The witch's smirk softened and her fiery red finger glow faltered at the poor, begging look. She shook her head and pointed her glowing finger right at Sophie when she suddenly heard a bang. Hester immediately wheeled around and faced the name board where Anadil's name was slowly fading. That meant, Anadil had given up.

"Anadil gave up?" She gasped and turned back too late. Sophie had pulled her flag out of her pocket and now, she was being sent back to the school grounds.

"N-no. No! No!" Hester cried and disappeared. Her name vanished from the board just like Anadil's had. Satisfied, Sophie smirked. Someone ran up behind her. Finger glowing, Sophie turned to see Agatha standing there, panting with frightened eyes.

"Okay. I'll help-" Sophie began.

"No! It's Beatrix. She's injured." Agatha panted and gestured her to follow. The two of them sprinted deeper into the forest where it got darker. Finally, they got to a clearing where there was a large group of contestants circling Beatrix's wounded body. Sophie shoved by everyone and found her friend lying on the ground with crimson blood seeping out of her thigh. She dropped onto the grass next to her.

"Where's her flag?" Sophie screamed desperately.

"Anadil took it with her when she gave up." Chaddick said quietly.

"Can't we give her our own?"

"The minute you take that flag out of your pocket, you'll start disappearing." Agatha muttered as Sophie shoved her hand into her pocket.

"I'll take her with me." She grabbed Beatrix's hand tightly and pulled out her flag. Immediately, both Sophie and Beatrix began to fade. Beatrix stifled a groan and smiled painfully and wistfully at Chaddick. Then, they were gone. They had 'given up'. Everyone stayed silent, forgetting that they were in the competition. Suddenly Archanne screamed out.

"The Trial!" She roared and once again, the battle started out. 

"Professor Dovey!" Sophie screeched the minute her and Beatrix's feet touched the ground. Professor Dovey barreled over and gasped at the sight of Beatrix. 

"Didn't Anadil lose to her?" The dean gaped.

"Yes, but she injured her before she vanished." Sophie replied, worriedly and gazed over the dean's shoulder to see people heading towards their direction curiously. Dot was in the front of the crowd. 

"Follow me." Professor Dovey whispered and gestured Sophie to follow while carrying Beatrix in her arms. Beatrix whimpered. 

They walked through a reeking, narrow tunnel. Sophie scrunched up her nose, but didn't say a word. After all, she probably smelt worse than this at the moment. Suddenly, the dean dipped Beatrix into a pool of bright, green slime. Beatrix cried out with pain.

"Professor Dovey! What are you doing?" Sophie screamed. The dean stayed calm. She smiled gently.

"This slime helps big injuries heal. It does sting, but works." She said and lifted Beatrix back out. It was true. There was not a single sight of a large cut on her thigh or any trace of scar either. All there was, was dried blood and gooey, green slime splattered all over her. Beatrix broke out into a grateful beam.

"Thank you, professor Dovey." She said and sniffed. "Whew, I stink." 

"I'm sure all of us does." Sophie grinned. The dean and the girls went silent and stared at each other. They suddenly broke out into a racket of laughter, Professor Dovey included. 

"Shall we start heading back, then?" Sophie questioned as they stopped chortling. Beatrix and the dean both nodded and started head back from where they came from. Sophie smiled, glad that her friend had lived and was safe.