Numb {Joel x Reader}

Whatever happened to childhood
Whatever happened to dreams

The two children talked and laughed with each other on the swings, side by side. Joel and (Y/n), friends till the end.

Whatever happened to memories

"Here, Joel. Take this." The girl handed him a small braided brown bracelet. "What's this?" Was his response. "A friendship bracelet. That way, everyone will now we'll be friends forever."

(Y/n) looked down at her matching bracelet, thinking of him. She still had it after all these years. Whatever did happen to them? She always questioned that. What made them drive apart.

I was supposed to be better
I was supposed to be true
But I-I-I-I I sold out too

Joel fidgeted with the friendship bracelet on his wrist. Even after all this time of never speaking, they could still feel a connection. A desire to be a around each other. After all, they were best friends. They were supposed to last, but things didn't work that way.

We said we'd make it together
We said we'd never give up

"We'll get through life together. We'll always have each other's backs. Forever and always. Promise?" They we're sitting at the swings again, though they were in high school now. They were no longer just friends, they were a couple now. Have been for a few years, and showed no signs of wavering. (Y/n) looked at Joel, confused by his words. But she still complied. "Promise."

We gave each other forever

"Then will you take this?" He asked. He held out a small ring. "A promise ring. A promise to each other to do this together. And after college, maybe get married?" He suggested nervously. (Y/n) smiled wildly, and accepted the promise ring. "Of course, Joel! I love you!" He smiles and slid the ring on her finger. "I love you too."

But then we had to grow up

The couple hadn't seen each other in a long time. They were growing apart. They had gone to different colleges, which made it hard, but it seemed like neither of them were putting in the effort. They were taking different paths that didn't seem to fit. So when they finally did meet up, it wasn't in happiness.

We were supposed to be stronger
We were supposed to be true

"We were supposed to forever. True love, ya know? But I don't think that's what's going to happen. We're growing apart." She looked down. "We can still make this work. We're the strong couple, remember? Best friends?" She mumbled. "I know, but I think we're just headed on different roads. I don't think this'll work out." "You don't even want to try and patch this up?" She hissed, jumping up. "We can't keeping patching this up over and over, (Y/n). It's for the best."

But we-e-e-e we gave up too

Her demeanor changed, she was calmer. She handed him the ring back, a frown on her face and tears in both their eyes. "Thank you for giving this to me then. I hope the right girl gets that." And then they were no more.

We all go numb

(Y/n) laid in bed, unfeeling, unmoving. She missed Joel.

We all go numb

Joel sat at his desk, unable to focus on the work in front of him. He missed (Y/n).

We all go numb

They couldn't live with the pain, so they blocked it out.

Distract ourselves so we don't see what we've become

Anything and everything to make it go away.

We all go numb

Alcohol, partying, one night stands.

We all go numb

All to not feel the heart ache.

We all go numb

They didn't want it.

You compromise all you believe in then your numb believe in nothing

Nothing really made sense anymore.

Whatever happened to true love
The kind you feel when you're young

I often think about the day she gave that ring back to me. I often think about what could have been if she hadn't. I haven't felt that spark I had with (Y/n) again. That feeling that this is true love, and nothing can compare. We we're young, but in love.

When she was all you could think of
I guess those feelings are gone

She was all that plagued my mind. I guess, even now she still does. It's strange how one person can have such an effect on you. But I guess that that's not how it is now.

My friends have started to settle
Guess they just want to be two

I hold the promise ring between my fingers. When people around you start to settle, you think about past relationships. At least I have. My mind always wanders.

And I-I-I-I I'll settle too

I'd be too if we hadn't let go. And in a way, I want to be.

But I-I-I-I I still want you

I want to be settled. With (Y/n).

We all go numb

I still want to be with her.

We all go numb

I still want to be the forever couple.

We all go numb

I still love her.

Distract ourselves so we don't see what we've become

I've been avoiding it, but I can't anymore. I need to find her. Tell her that I still love her. I miss her too much to keep pretending.

We all go numb

But how?

We all go numb

How could I find her?

We all go numb

How could I tell her?

You compromise all you believe in then your numb believe in nothing

I've never believed in anything like I believe in us. I guess I'll just have believe in that. Because I'm tired of being numb. I'm going to get her back. Some how.

~Bonus~

There's a knock at my door. It's strange, I wasn't expecting anyone. "One moment." I call to the door. I walk over, and open it. What I see makes my eyes spring into tears. "Joel?" I question. He looks at me, a small smile on his face. His heads slightly tilted, and his bright blue eyes have tears in them too. "How did you fin-" I'm cut off by him pressing his lips to mine. I kiss back. It sweet, but needy and desperate, and I missed this feeling so much. We break, our foreheads pressed together. "I missed you." He admits. "I missed you too." "I still love you (Y/n). Can we try again?" He asks. I smile brightly. "Like you even had to ask."