{Mark x Reader}

(Y/n) P.O.V.

Grocery shopping is probably one of my least favorite things to do. But obviously, it had to get done. My six year old son, Carter, loved to go with me though. I'm pretty sure he just likes looking through the toy aisle though. It's a small aisle at the end of our usual route around the store. Usually Carter just points out things he wants for his birthday, but today however, he came to me with something he "had" to have.

"Mommy! Look!" I give him a fond smile, looking at the doll he's presenting me with. "That's very nice Carter. Something I should add to your list?" He shakes his head. "I can't wait that long. I neeeed her! She has a hat on that will be perfect for one of the others at home. And she comes with a puppy!" He exclaimed. I'm always amused by this behavior. He isn't ashamed to like dolls and fashion, and I'm so proud of him for it. "How about this? I'll get the doll for you, if you help me make dinner tonight. Deal?"

Carter holds up his arms in triumph. "Deal! Thank you, Mommy!" I'm happy to make him happy. Besides, a new toy every now and again doesn't hurt. Carter tightly grips the box with excitement next to me as I push the cart to the check out lanes. Most of the lanes are full, so I stand in one with one person ahead of me, although they have quite a full cart. While waiting, a man comes up in line behind us, and Carter, being the friendly person he is, strikes up a conversation.

"Look at what my mommy is getting me!" He holds up the box to the man. I'm a bit shy about it. Not that I'm ashamed of him liking dolls or anything, but plenty of people have questioned it, and I don't feel like arguing right now. However, the man smiles and nods. "That's very nice of her."

"Yeah, I have to help make dinner now, but that's okay. I like stirring. And she comes with a puppy. I would do anything!" I chuckle, and hear the man do so with me. I ruffle Carters (h/c) hair. "He's very excited." I timidly add. I have a harder time around people anyways. I'm not sure how Carter got to be so extroverted. "Well he ought to be. A puppy is no joking manner." The man encourages. I take time now to actually look at him. He's attractive, with beautiful cocoa eyes and a strong build. His dark hair is long, but frames his face well with his beard. Black glasses rest on his nose, and a kind smile rest on his face.

"I'm (Y/n)." I introduce. "And that's Carter." The man holds out a hand to shake. "I'm Mark." The person in front of me finishes up, allowing me to go next. As I'm putting things on the counter, Carter continues showing off until I need the doll. "Carter, put the doll on the counter please." He nods, a small frown on his face, and does so. The lady at the register get to the final item to scan, the doll. She smiles at me. "You have a little girl at home?"

"No, actually. It's for my son." Her smile turns into a frown. "Don't you think he'd like something for boys?" She asks. "Nope. He picked it himself." I sigh internally. "So what? Is he gay or something?" I'm taken aback. I've never gotten that one before. "Listen ma'am, he is six years old. He doesn't know how he orientates, and won't know for awhile, but you know what? If he is, that's 100% fine. But a toy does not define that in may way. He can play with whatever toy he wants." I defend sternly, trying not to raise my voice too much.

"I can't let you ruin that poor boys life like this." The lady says, crossing her arms. "Excuse me?" I'm in utter disbelief. Then another voice speaks up. "Look lady, this is the 21st century. Kids can play with whatever kind of toy they want to. They shouldn't feel like gender stereotypes can stop them. People like you are the reason there is so much wrong in the world." Mark growls. I'm shocked, but grateful for his help. The lady scowls, but says no more, ringing up the doll. Carter hugs my legs, burying his face as if he's done something wrong. Once everything is set and paid for, I pick Carter up away from the line.

"Am I not really allowed to play with dolls?" He sniffs. "Are they not for boys?" I hug him tightly. "No, not at all Carter. You can play with any toy you want." I reassure. "She was just jealous because her mom didn't let her have cool things." I look over to see Mark again. Carter looks at him hopefully. "Really?"

"Duh, if anyone ever says anything, that's the only reason why." Mark lectures. Carter smiles, hugging onto me. "Then that means I have the best Mommy." My heart melts a little, happiness filling me. "Thank you, Mark. It means a lot." I express. "Its really no problem. People just need to be a little more accepting. Plus, I'm sure he could use more encouragement in his life." I chuckle. "Well, now he has me and the random guy at the grocery store." I joke. I grab onto my bags, starting for the exit, and Mark follows behind.

"I take it his dad doesn't like dolls?" Mark questions. I spare a glance to the boy in my arms. He never knew his dad. He was an abusive piece of shit that ran off when I got pregnant. Carter asked me about it once. I told him he disappeared. It didn't really effect him much. "His dad isn't around." I say solemnly. "Mommy said he disappeared. I think aliens took him because he wasn't right for Mommy, so he had to be moved to another planet." Carter butts in. I wish. "Maybe, kiddo." I say to him, but I can tell Mark gets it.

"I'm sorry." He says. "Don't be. It was for the best." I tell him. We get to my car. It barely registered that Mark had followed us all the way here. By the look on his face, and can tell it's like that for him too. "You- You know if, maybe you'd ever, wanna meet up again, I know some places. If maybe you'd like to do that-" My laughter cuts off the blushing Mark. "Yeah, I would." I situate Carter in his carseat, before tearing off the bottom of my receipt and writing my number on it. "Just as long as you're not going to get kidnapped by aliens." I joke. "Bye Mark." I get into my car, and start driving. "If he becomes my dad, at least he likes puppies." I hear Carter say from the back, making me blush.