Expedition Arc Chapter 35: The Abandoned Town

The snow had gotten heavier right when you all had made it into the town, becoming a blizzard and making it nearly impossible to see through. All of the houses and buildings were either empty or no one was answering on purpose. You all had assumed that it was abandoned, but none of the houses were destroyed or run down.

Ruby: I don't get it. The empty towns I've passed through were all damaged or unfinished. But this place looks fine. 

Weiss: *she shivers a bit and crosses her arms* Maybe everyone left in a hurry. Before things took a turn for the worst. 

You: Or we are being ignored by whoever is inside. If there is anyone in the houses of course.

Qrow: *he tries to open the door, but it is locked* Stay on guard. 

Right when Qrow kicks the door down, everyone holds their weapons and goes into the room. You, however, just hold a ki sphere in both of your hands. You all look around, but don't see or hear anything right when you walk in. 

Maria: Close the door already! It's cold enough in here as it is.

You and Weiss close the door, but hold it as Oscar and Blake push a metal desk in front of the door so that it doesn't open because of the blizzard. 

Blake: I saw a chimney from the outside. Maybe we can get a fire going? 

Weiss: Please, I'll go look for some blankets.

Qrow: Yang, go with her. 

You and Blake stay near the staircase and see Yang and Weiss go upstairs. While Maria, Qrow, and Oscar go into the next room. You hear Oscar say something about it being a study or a library. Blake then walks over to Ruby while she was looking at some pictures that were on the wall. A few seconds later, everyone hears a scream that sounded like it came from Weiss. You, Blake, Ruby, and Qrow run up the stairs and see Yang and Weiss on the floor. You look up and see a dead couple lying in a bed in the room. You look back down and see Weiss looks frozen in fear. 

Qrow: I'm going to go check every other house. I guess use the books in the library to start a fire.

You and Ruby help Yang and Weiss up while Qrow leaves the house you all were in. Once you all got down to the library, you and Blake started a fire. Weiss then goes and sits right in front of the fire, still having a terrified look on her face. After a bit of searching, Blake then finds a blanket and wraps it around Weiss before going to sit on the couch next to Yang. Qrow then returns and wipes the snow off of his suit.

Qrow: It's the same in every house. 

Yang: What?

Qrow: Bodies. Every bed in every home. It's like the whole estate just went to sleep and never woke up. 

Weiss: Then we're not staying here, right? 

Qrow: We don't have a choice. Storm outside's only getting worse. We'd freeze to death before we made it anywhere. 

Maria: *she gets up from her chair* Well, might as well get comfortable. 

Yang: Yeah, fat chance.

Ruby: Okay. Let's do something. If this place wasn't abandoned then it might still have supplies we could use. 

Oscar: Hey, yeah. Maybe even a car. 

Qrow: I'll do another sweep of the grounds. No one else goes anywhere alone. 

Blake: Yang and I can search the other buildings for vehicles.