Actuality

non·pa·reil
ˌnänpəˈrel/
adjective
1.
having no match or equal; unrivaled.
noun
1.
an unrivaled or matchless person or thing.

We got home to see Sheryl with the man that had tried to attack me the other day. She was laughing and smiling with him. Am I dreaming or something?

Once she noticed I was in the room she cheerily came up to me. "Jasper I'd like you to meet my mate Tanner".

"Mate?" Her mate is this huge scary cruel man. I really can't judge, my mate is worse. I looked at him in curiosity. If he's her mate how does she deal with him?

"Yes, my mate. Anyways I made some cookies if you'd like some. Would you?"

"Yes!". I grinned back at Damien letting him know that I was going to the kitchen to eat some cookies. Damien nodded his head and began to speak to Tanner as we walked away. It smelled so good, and looked so pretty. The cookies were rainbow colored and mixed in different patterns. I picked up one and took a bite tasting a delicious sugar cookie. I moaned in delight and devoured another.

"Sheryl, can I ask you a question?"

"Yes honey anything."

"Tanner is your mate, and uh he's kind of not the nicest person. I encountered him before and he's kind of viscous. How do you handle that?" She chuckled and threw the towel that she was using to clean the table down.

"When we first met I realized that he was sort of Damien's little follower. He is vicious but we both view mates as equals so it works out. Of course there is a couple of things where it's obvious that we wouldn't be equal, but we know that and we understand". I nodded my head and continued eating cookies. They were just so good.

Being with her reminded me of Brighton. I really wanted to get him a toy, it seems like the kids in this pack don't get a lot of things. Maybe I should just get a bucket of toys for them to share; that'd be good. The only problem was I don't want to ask Damien about it. I'll just get a job. I said my thanks and goodbyes before I headed up to Damien's room.

He was sitting on the bed holding a piece of paper in his hands. He was smiling and he actually looked happy for once. This is the perfect opportunity to ask him where I can find a job. I went and sat next to him noticing that the paper he held was a half finished drawing I had started of him. I didn't even realize what I was drawing until my hand cramped up and I saw that it was similar to some of his face. I still need to add some details, but I think it's going pretty good. He looked up at me and set the paper on the nightstand.

"Damien." He hummed and tilted his head to the side to look at me.

"Where can I get a job out here?" His expression changed from one of complete rage to calmness in three seconds.

"Why would you want a job? I provide everything for you. If there is anything you want? I will get it just ask".

"No I just-".

"Is this about not wanting to make me buy too much I already explained-"

"It's not that I just want a job, it'll also help me do something other than draw and go out into the forest in my free time".

He sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "You're not getting a job".

"What! Why, what's wrong with me working?"

"What's wrong with you not working?"

"Damien, I just, I-". I sighed deeply and looked down at my feet that were crossed over each other. I thought about one of the true reasons I wanted a job. "For as far as my memory goes I've had to depend on people. I had to depend on Joe and Cindy to get me food and not let me die". He growled and the mention of their names. "And now I have to fully depend on you to get what I want and need. Is it wrong to want to finally be able to do something for myself?"

He groaned and starred at a blank place on the wall for a long time. "Fine, if you allow me to assign two bodyguards to be with you at all times you can get a job."

"Are you serious? You want me to work with two people staring at me and everyone in there the entire time? I'd probably get fired!"

"That's the way it's going to be. It's either that or nothing at all".

"Why can't you think of me as an equal? Isn't that what mates are supposed to do? Sheryl and Tanner do".

He sat on his knees and studied me like I was his prey. "Well guess what honey. I'm not as stupid and Tanner and Sheryl. There are people that are looking for you out there, and they are close. We just saw them! Mates are not and will never be equal no matter what you may believe. There's a dominant and a submissive for a damn reason, and if you haven't noticed I'm the dominant and you need to listen to not only your dominant but your alpha". His chilling tone ran down my spine all the way to my toes and the deadly glint in his eye unnerved me.

I bared my human teeth and gave him the same amount of power in my voice as he did his. I would not just let go so easily.

"Well guess what sweetheart. I am not apart of your pack no matter what you may believe, and if you can't see me as an equal I can't see you as a mate. I will not allow some power hungry man control to my decisions on what I think is best for me."

"I compromised. I listened to what you think is best for you, and I altered it. You have to understand that you've been kidnapped and too damn weak to escape. So if you think I'm letting you out there unprotected with them lurking you have another thing coming".
I looked into his eyes and I couldn't help but let tears pour out. He's right, and I hated it. I'm weak and I will never be his equal. I should except it, but I can't. I can't stay this way. If I wan't him to see me differently I have to change.

He groaned before he wrapped his arms around me and kissed my forehead. "Are you okay darling? You've cried a lot today".

"I hate you! I hate this! I hate everything!"

"I know, I know, let it all out". He rubbed my back and I allowed him to listen to my rant about my fucked up life. He listened and kept me close to him. Once I was done I wiped my face and looked up at him.

"Can you leave? I think I should be alone". I was embarrassed that I cried and let him know almost everything I've kept inside.

"No", he whispered against my blonde hair. "You need me right now, and I'm going to be here".

--

Happy New Years!