Choices

Your lungs burned from the constant screaming. He needed to know you were there, that he wasn't alone after all. You take the deepest breath you could muster, inhaling as much air as you could.
" SANS! "
An almighty scream silences the crowd, them turning to look at you. Some looked with disgust and some with confusion. You try to catch your breath back, your cheeks flushing red with embarrassment. A single person came up to you, scowling deeply enough that it looked like he would tear you apart like an animal.
" Why the hell are you calling out to him? " You don't answer, not sure how these ignorant creatures would respond to the truth.
They couldn't handle it.
Not yet.
You turn your head to avoid his gaze.
" You a friend....or his lover? " The crowd began to gasp and chatter at the mere thought of a love between human and monster. Yet you still don't respond, holding back a few tears bravely. Your heart weighed heavily, able to see the person in front of you seeth with rage.
" I see...." A smirk spreads across his face, a small whimper from behind you making him finally break eye contact.
" L...leave her alone will ya? She done nothing wrong " Your confrontor turns his attention to Sans, standing in front of the bone prison with a cocky stance.
" Keep out of other people's business freak! " You see Sans recoil in pain and surprise, his sockets locked firmly on you as you stumble back a tad from the crowd. You felt burning deep inside. It wasn't painful, uncomfortable for sure but not painful.
You stand forward, pushing past all who dared stand between you. Tears threatening to stream down your face at the thought of confrontation, especially a group as sizable as this. You lock eyes with Sans, bending down gently and reaching through the gap in between those glistening blue bones. The tears finally fall, accompanied by a smile and soft laugh. Bony fingers intertwine with yours as the skeleton finally grasps your hand weakly. You didn't know how long he could last out here. All you knew is that you had to get him back soon, before the situation escalated.
Maybe...just maybe....
" Sans...." He looks at you, a visible blue tear in his socket corner.
" Go on without me. I will bide time until I can teleport out of here " You shake your head in dismissal. No way you would leave him to the dogs like this.
" Not a chance. We started this together. We knew what was at stake and dammit I will not leave you " A small, soft and gentle kiss graces your hand. Your smile shines brighter, letting go of the one you love to turn towards the confrontation. The feeling you felt deep down was now stronger then ever, your fingertips beginning to tingle as your body embraced that which you felt. You close your eyes, taking a deep breath. You count your heartbeats.
One
Two
Three
Four
This calm was unnatural to you but you welcomed it. No more would you run. The feeling of Sans' soul close to yours set your being ablaze, a deep connection. These humans couldn't hope to understand, not yet anyway and someday you hoped they would but right now you only cared about one thing. Silence settled around you, the talk of the crowd no more then a murmur.
" (Y/N)? " His voice was clear to you, a shout among the whispers. You smirk.
" What's happened to ya? " You chuckle under your breath. Taking one last breath of courage.
" I found out what is most important to me Sans. I found someone to protect " The skeleton chuckles back at you, humor in his voice despite his heavily injured state.
" And who might that be? "
" You numbskull haha. Who do you think? " Still smiling, you open your eyes. Your right eye felt hot but not on fire, cool yet warm. Placing your hand over your eye didn't burn, didn't cause pain but instead you saw a faint (F/C) flame disintegrate on your palm.
Was this monster power?
Your soul shone brightly, pushing the crowd back, giving you and Sans the room you needed to make a escape. The murmurs became shouts once more, thick hostility in the air.
" S..she's one of them! "
" They are walking among us! "
" Kill them both! "
You felt no more fear, turning to Sans and giving him a soft smile with a nod. Slowly and softly you raise your hands, two large cow skulls acting as guards at the either side of you.
" If you still have a problem with us then come at me. I will protect those dear to me. It's your call. Make a choice "