08 - Chapter Eight - Emerson Bennett's Point Of View.

Maddox had no doubt been made aware of what had gone on the night before when he showed up at the house bright and early with a bag of food from molly's. 

"Emerson, Good morning, Are you okay?"
"I have a bruise that I won't be able to cover and there's a massive hole in the wall so you tell me, Am I okay?"
"Cade told me very early this morning there was an altercation, to which im being blamed for causing, but I think that's a talk for another time."

I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"He's still butt hurt because of something I said. Sorry I got you involved in my shit, again."
"Wheres your mother?"
"Outside. She's been taking all her phone calls outside in the garage. She's probably talking to fucking Cade. Fucking asshole."
"Emerson, Watch your mouth."

Maddox took the food to the kitchen and I followed. The silence between us was weird and I wanted to ask if us fucking was a one-time thing or more if we wanted it. But now really didn't seem like a good time. The door opened and my mother came in.

"Good morning Maddox."
"Good morning Diane."
"Cade had offered to pay to have the wall fixed and clean the backyard of glass and his blood."
"Did he also offer to kiss your ass until he could fuck that again too?"

I don't know why I even let the words out of my mouth but I cursed the very second I did.  It wasn't my mother that responded first it was Maddox.

"Emerson, I highly suggest you stuff your mouth with the breakfast I brought or close your mouth, you have lost your talking privileges for the remainder of the time I'm here."

"That's--"

The glare I got from Maddox had me cursing his entire presence in our house. Maddox didn't have to hit me for me to listen to him, he had an aura about him when he was upset that just made me want to not push any further buttons. Unlike Cade, who's buttons were easy to push over and over. It was clear my mother was still annoyed with me too, and my comment didn't help.
I watched Maddox and my mother talking in a hushed tone about something they clearly were not interested in sharing with me.

"Emerson, Come spend the day with me."
"Do I honestly have a choice?"
"No, Not really."
"I'll go get ready then."

I walked slowly up the stairs to my room and found a comfortable outfit to wear. It was just a plain grey hoodie and fitted black sweat pants. Let's hope Maddox didn't have any plans to do anything other than hanging out. Grabbing my phone charger I tucked it into my light little drawstring bag. Jogging down the stairs Maddox looked ready to go. He checked the watch on his wrist twice before he saw me.

"Ready?"
"Yup, let's go."

I followed him to the fancy car he had parked in our driveway because that totally wouldn't make the neighbours not want to speak with us. Getting in the car I buckled in and heard the car door lock making me lookup. Cade was pulling into the parking spot behind my mother's car.

So this was what they were talking about. Me getting out of the house so Cade could come over. I watched as Maddox and Cade locked eyes briefly before Maddox started the car making it purr to life. I watched the dials and meters pop up before he backed out of the driveway with grace. It made me wonder how long he had been driving.

"Get comfortable, we have a long drive."
"To where?"
"Gate Lake"
"Why are we going to a lake city four hours away?"
"Fun? Games?"
"You know I'm not stupid right? She asked you to take me out of town so I couldn't cause further problems, am I right?"
"I offered for one and for two I am well aware you're not stupid."

I shut my mouth and relaxed into the seat. Maddox flicked on the radio and it was immediately clear his music taste was old rock and that was about it. Seeing that I could pair my phone with his sports car I started my hostile take over of the drive. He looks slightly confused for a moment when the music changed and the volume increased.

"Sorry, I took over the radio, if I'm being forced to go with you, then you're going to be forced to deal with my music."
"That's fair isn't it."
"Definitely."

He rolled down all the windows and turned the music up. I was pleasantly surprised when he sang along to a bunch of my songs.

"Im not old enough to not know these songs."
"Close enough though eh?"
"Take that back!"
"Absolutely not!"
"How dare you call me old!"
"Well, you are."
"Im only twenty-eight."
"Oh, you poor man, all downhill from there."
"Oh hush you."

We sang and belted out songs together with the whole ride to Gate Lake. It was surprisingly easy to laugh and get along with Maddox. He was a different kind of person from Cade. He tried to understand me, where Cade was his way or the highway and I hated that.

"Hey, Emerson.."
"Yes, Maddox?"
"Promise me something because it's only fair."
"Ok?"
"Promise you will give Cade a chance to change your mind about him. He's a good guy, I've known him for a while, He's out of his element here."
"Are we going to ignore the fact he hit me? That he also tried to do it again!"
"No, We aren't going to ignore that hit happened, we are going to try to get over it."
"Oh so kind of like the way he's getting over that we fucked, or that I would call you daddy before him."
"Would you not agree you pushed him, Emerson?"
"No."
"I'll let you think about that one before you answer me again."
"The answer will still----"
"Think about your answer."

There was no point arguing with Maddox he wouldn't let me win this one. He was positive that Cade wasn't a bad guy, but could he even make that judgement given exactly what his job and lifestyle were. I was not about to tell him that though. The breeze coming off the lake was fantastic and the air smelt so clean. It was a shame I had worn a sweater and sweatpants. It was hard not to be disappointed when he drove away from the lake.

"What size are you?"

The glare I shot at him was an automatic response to the question he asked me.

"Was that rude?"
"No."
"Why the glare then?"
"Im rude,"

He didn't answer me back. Instead, he drove into the town and parked the car in front of a small store that looked like it sold bathing suits.

"Let's go find you a bathing suit."

The look he gave me told me this was another thing wasn't going to get to argue about.

"Im--- Right you weren't asking you were ordering me."
"You catch on quick."

Getting out of the car he locked it and pulled me behind him into the store. His hand was warm in mine as he pulled him inside. Why exactly was he holding my hand? I was old enough to walk around a store without needing to be held onto. I tried to pull my hand out of his and he looked at me sharply.

"Behave."
"I am."

He didn't drop my hand as he pulled me around the store. He stopped in front of some black and rainbow short swim trunks. Instead of asking me my size again I grabbed my by the back of my sweat pants and read the tag. He let go of my hand only briefly to grab a few pairs of swimming trunks from several brands and colours before he grabbed my hand and pulled me around again.
I had just given up totally on trying to get my hand out if he and I watched the lady who rang up the swim shorts eying our hands.

"You guys make a cute couple."
"Thanks."

I couldn't hide the shock on my face that he would go with what she said and not argue with her. I mean we weren't a couple we had only fucked. He paid for the bill with a shiny black card and took the bags pulling me around with the other hand.

"Can you let my hand go now."
"If I say no will you throw a hissy fit."
"Yes."
"Then no."

I quickly realized he wanted if I would overreact nothing more. I sighed and let him pull me around not giving him the reaction he wanted. I could see the sly smile he wore on his face as he pulled me back to the car. He popped the trunk and tossed the bag in the back.

"Get in please."

I opened the door and got in the car. I didn't feel like arguing or challenging him. I didn't want to get stuck on the side of the road in a town I didn't know. He started the car and barely waited for the car to show the meters and dials before he sped off. He drove back towards the water for a long time before a house popped into the distance.

"Welcome to Lake casa de Vincent."